US-Mexico border must be seriously secured

This summer, the issue of immigration exploded across televisions around the nation. More than 50,000 children had been displaced from their families, attempting to cross the U.S.-Mexico border in pursuit of a better life. Congressional Democrats and Republicans pleaded for comprehensive immigration reform.

Months later, not only are we no closer to a solution, but we’re told the issue has been shelved until after the midterm elections. I guess it wasn’t that important of an issue after all, if it could wait and wait, and then wait some more. But I won’t address the immigration debate; you’ve got Rachel Maddow or Bill O’Reilly to give you polarized coverage of that and to inform you of the proper solution.

What I’m going to do is knock you over the head and tell you that you’re a fool, because you’re letting Republicans and Democrats alike bundle immigration reform with border control. You’re letting your representatives package two issues and make them seem like one.

The United States has two enormous land borders, one with Canada and the other with Mexico. The U.S.-Canada border is a testament to our longstanding relations with our northern brothers (never mind the War of 1812); it is the longest border in the world that remains mostly open. That’s not to say there aren’t border crossings and checkpoints, but contrast the U.S.-Canada border with that of, say, India and China, and you’ll see what I mean.

The U.S.-Mexico border is a different story entirely. With myriad fences, drones and sensors, it is what everyone refers to when arguing about our “porous border.” The U.S.-Mexico border is also the place where 50,000 immigrants crossed into our country this year alone.

Whatever your opinion on immigration (send them back, keep them, make them citizens, give them green cards, imprison them, you name it), the border needs to be secured.

If 50,000 people this year can cross, what is stopping terrorists from sneaking through? A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, so what good are our intense airport security measures if a sinister-minded group can sneak into the United States through Mexico after traversing through the unstable governments in Central America?

Terrorists aren’t rational actors. They’re not people you can or should reason with. By leaving the metaphorical back door open, we are not doing everything we can to protect against a future 9/11.

But what is the solution? Do we simply build a thousand or so miles of wall and fence, turning the border into a Korean-esque DMZ (demilitarized zone)? No, because that will only create more problems. What we need to do is fund the Border Patrol to a level that allows them to actually do the job their mandate calls for.

Another solution would be deploying the National Guard to the border on a rotational basis. The federal military – Army, Air Force, Navy, Marines – are barred from acting in a police capacity due to the Posse Comitatus Act.

However, the National Guard is not restricted in such a manner. In fact, the National Guard exists to guard the nation and the states. Currently, the National Guard has just shy of 500,000 members; let’s put them to work while we develop technological means to secure the border and train more Border Patrol agents. Let’s prevent another completely avoidable tragedy and plug a very dangerous hole.

Whatever your stance on the immigration issue, let’s work together toward securing the border.

Will Schaub is a senior majoring in political science and English. He may be contacted at w.schaub@umiami.edu.

Featured photo of a male climbing the border fence in Texas uploaded by Nofx221984 to Wikimedia Commons.

Will Schaub

4 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “US-Mexico border must be seriously secured”

1. Larry Linn says:

Many crops in the $28 Billion fruit and vegetable industry, are dependent upon field workers, of whom are 48% are illegals. About 23% have family incomes below the poverty levels. I have lived in diverse working class neighborhoods most of my life, and the people who I later suspected of being illegals, avoided any contact with any governmental entities to prevent deportation. This includes governmental benefits. When the male children are about twelve years old, the family often puts then to work in the fields. As for taxes: when they purchase food, they pay sales tax; when they buy gasoline, they pay taxes; when they pay rent, the landlord pays property taxes.

http://www.ncfh.org/docs/fs-Facts%20about%20Farmworkers.pdf
    http://www.fairus.org/DocServer/agribusiness_rev2013.pdf
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/27/us/27bcjames.html?_r=0

2. Grace says:

Although I appreciate that this article was written, it still overlooks much of the debate at hand. Simply adding Border Patrol agents or the National Guard is not sustainable and ignores the structural and political issues which perpetuate our long-term border crisis. I found this opinion article posted on CNN indicative of my counter-argument: http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/21/opinion/navarrette-border-security/
    And while the article doesn’t mention a terrorist threat, much of what the article has to say highly suggests that our border will never be 100% secure from a terrorist threat. By self-perpetuating a culture of fear in America, we justify millions of dollars to be wasted at the border for protection we simply will never have.

3. Ian says:

Interesting, because just in the last month Canada has deemed two actions in their country as a terrorist act. Mexico has ever had a terrorist attack, yet the argument is that open borders to the north isn’t a concern, it’s the south we need to worry about for terrorists. But the facts don’t agree. There is more documented terrorist activity in Canada. Of course we also need to close he southern border because of Ebola, which has only been in the USA and not Mexico. So while the US is playing the race card, because that is what this is, the terrorists who are known to exist in Canada are laughing because the American people are so foolish to be looking south while their next attack will come from behind at the northern border. Americans only point to Mexico because of the color of their skin. Canadians look like Americans so it’s harder to make the general public understand that there are risks there too. Good luck playing the race card.

4. John says:

Kratos Defense & Security Solutions, Inc. (Nasdaq:KTOS) a leading National Security Solutions provider, announced today that its Unmanned Systems Division (USD) has successfully completed its first U.S. Navy flight test for its BQM-177A Subsonic Aerial Target (SSAT) Unmanned Aerial Drone System. In addition it announced today that its Public Safety & Security Solutions (PSS) Division recently received an $81 million single award contract for the deployment and integration of a specialized security system for a major mass transportation authority.

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...