Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Teams place last at season close

The Hurricanes cross country teams wrapped up the regular season in this weekend’s meet.

The men and women’s teams placed last in their respective races at the ACC Championships held in Charlottesville, Virginia.

In the men’s eight-kilometer race, senior Douglas Dourado finished first for the Hurricanes with a time of 26:09.9. A total of five men represented Miami.

Syracuse won the men’s championship for the second-straight year. Syracuse junior Martin Hehir won the race with a time of 23:15.2, and fellow Orangeman senior Max Straneva finished third with a time of 23:23.1.

Seven women represented the Hurricanes. For the women’s six-kilometer race, sophomore Gabrielle Hesslau led Miami, finishing with a time of 23:31.5. Frida Carlsson finished four places behind her with a time of 24:05.2.

North Carolina won the women’s team championship. Their highest finisher was junior Annie LeHardy who crossed the finish line at 20:09.5. Liv Westphal, a senior from Boston College won the race clocking in at 19:43.8.

Despite this finish, Miami distance coach Damon Griffiths was hopeful.

“I feel both teams competed hard today,” he said. “We had several positives this season. We will take a break and start preparing for track season.”

NCAA Regional Championships are Nov. 14 in Tallahassee, and NCAA Championships are Nov. 22 in Terre Haute, Indiana. The indoor track season starts with the Nittany Lion Challenge hosted by Pennsylvania State in January.

Miami will host two track meets: the Hurricane Invitational in March and the Hurricane Alumni Invitational in April.

Victoria Hernandez

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...