Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Teams place last at season close

The Hurricanes cross country teams wrapped up the regular season in this weekend’s meet.

The men and women’s teams placed last in their respective races at the ACC Championships held in Charlottesville, Virginia.

In the men’s eight-kilometer race, senior Douglas Dourado finished first for the Hurricanes with a time of 26:09.9. A total of five men represented Miami.

Syracuse won the men’s championship for the second-straight year. Syracuse junior Martin Hehir won the race with a time of 23:15.2, and fellow Orangeman senior Max Straneva finished third with a time of 23:23.1.

Seven women represented the Hurricanes. For the women’s six-kilometer race, sophomore Gabrielle Hesslau led Miami, finishing with a time of 23:31.5. Frida Carlsson finished four places behind her with a time of 24:05.2.

North Carolina won the women’s team championship. Their highest finisher was junior Annie LeHardy who crossed the finish line at 20:09.5. Liv Westphal, a senior from Boston College won the race clocking in at 19:43.8.

Despite this finish, Miami distance coach Damon Griffiths was hopeful.

“I feel both teams competed hard today,” he said. “We had several positives this season. We will take a break and start preparing for track season.”

NCAA Regional Championships are Nov. 14 in Tallahassee, and NCAA Championships are Nov. 22 in Terre Haute, Indiana. The indoor track season starts with the Nittany Lion Challenge hosted by Pennsylvania State in January.

Miami will host two track meets: the Hurricane Invitational in March and the Hurricane Alumni Invitational in April.

Victoria Hernandez

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...

It was the 25th and final University of Miami Opening Day for an emotional Jim Morris but the first ...

The University of Miami women's golf team moved to No. 25 in the latest Golfweek.com rankings t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 4-2 decision at No. 12 Oklahoma State Saturday. ...

The Hurricanes fell to the Orange, 62-55, at the Watsco Center. ...