Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Teams place last at season close

The Hurricanes cross country teams wrapped up the regular season in this weekend’s meet.

The men and women’s teams placed last in their respective races at the ACC Championships held in Charlottesville, Virginia.

In the men’s eight-kilometer race, senior Douglas Dourado finished first for the Hurricanes with a time of 26:09.9. A total of five men represented Miami.

Syracuse won the men’s championship for the second-straight year. Syracuse junior Martin Hehir won the race with a time of 23:15.2, and fellow Orangeman senior Max Straneva finished third with a time of 23:23.1.

Seven women represented the Hurricanes. For the women’s six-kilometer race, sophomore Gabrielle Hesslau led Miami, finishing with a time of 23:31.5. Frida Carlsson finished four places behind her with a time of 24:05.2.

North Carolina won the women’s team championship. Their highest finisher was junior Annie LeHardy who crossed the finish line at 20:09.5. Liv Westphal, a senior from Boston College won the race clocking in at 19:43.8.

Despite this finish, Miami distance coach Damon Griffiths was hopeful.

“I feel both teams competed hard today,” he said. “We had several positives this season. We will take a break and start preparing for track season.”

NCAA Regional Championships are Nov. 14 in Tallahassee, and NCAA Championships are Nov. 22 in Terre Haute, Indiana. The indoor track season starts with the Nittany Lion Challenge hosted by Pennsylvania State in January.

Miami will host two track meets: the Hurricane Invitational in March and the Hurricane Alumni Invitational in April.

Victoria Hernandez

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...