News Briefs 11/3

Richter Library celebrated Halloween with a pumpkin carving contest Friday. The student-carved pumpkins were displayed outside of Richter where students voted for their favorites. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Student Media Awards

University of Miami student media attended the Associated Collegiate Press (ACP) / College Media Association (CMA) fall conference in Philadelphia this weekend. The Miami Hurricane and Distraction Magazine were finalists for the online Pacemaker award that recognizes achievement in student media websites. Distraction Magazine won a Pacemaker award for its website,  and Ibis Yearbook won a Pacemaker for the 2013 book. Megan McCrink, online editorial coordinator for Distraction, won first place in the yearbook/magazine spread category for ACP’s “Design of the Year” award.

Global Careers Meet-up

The Global Careers Meet-Up, hosted by the Toppel Career Center and co-sponsored by  the University of Miami Study Abroad Office, invites students interested in working, interning, volunteering and studying abroad to learn more about international experiences from professionals including employers, faculty and staff. The event will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. on Monday in the Toppel Career Center Loft.

Hafla Night

The Middle Eastern Studies Society, Emet Israel and Let’s Bridge the Divide are co-hosting a night for a students to join Middle Eastern student organizations for free Middle Eastern food, music and conversation. Hafla Night will be held at 8 p.m. Monday in the University Center’s (UC) Storm Surge room (formerly Oasis Cafe).

UM Professors at Books & Books’ BookTalk

University of Miami Professors Anne Cruz and Pamela Hammons will be discussing their recently publish books from 8 to 9 p.m. Wednesday at Books & Books in Coral Gables. Cruz will talk about her book, “The Writings and Life of Luisa de Carvajal” following the character Luisa de Carvajal, Spanish noblewoman, poet and religious activist. Hammons’ book, “Book M:  A London Widow’s Life Writings,” addresses early modern women’s lives and writing.

Middle Eastern International Coffee House

Coffee Hour, a Global Ambassador event that promotes intercultural learning and diversity on campus, will be celebrating the Middle Eastern culture from 5 to 7 p.m. Wednesday at the College of Arts and Sciences gallery located in the Wesley Foundation Building. The event will include traditional cuisine, art music, and performances from the region. To RSVP, email studyabroad@miami.edu by Nov. 10.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...