Football, Sports

Canes trump Tar Heels 47-20 in Homecoming game

The Hurricanes (6-3, 3-2) ran all over North Carolina (4-5, 2-3) with 295 rushing yards, including a 90-yard dart from junior Duke Johnson with three to go in the second quarter.

Both Johnson and freshman Joseph Yearby eclipsed 100 yards, though Johnson accumulated 172 of his 177 in the first half.

No. 8 first put the Canes on the board with five to go in the first with a one-yard plunge into the end zone.

After a Miami safety and UNC-fumble recovery for a score, the Hurricanes closed up the first half with 21 consecutive points in the last 5:17.

This surge consisted of two Clive Walford touchdown grabs (numbers five and six on the season) and that Duke Johnson 90-yard track sprint.

After those two passing touchdowns, true freshman Brad Kaaya would follow up with one more in the first few minutes of the third quarter with a 37-yard dump to Johnson.

Kaaya finished with 189 yards and three TDs, and Johnson with 177 yards rushing, 2 rushing TDs and two catches for 49 yards (one going for a score).

The Hurricanes will carry the momentum from their current three-game winning streak into Sun Life stadium in two weeks, when they will face off against in-state rivals and AP No. 2 Florida State.

Danny New

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

‘Part-Time Junior’ Sculpts Her Way to a B.F.A. ...