Sports Briefs 10.30.14

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

Freshman Aisha Edwards will undergo surgery for a torn ACL Thursday, and will therefore redshirt for her first season with the Canes.

The 5-foot-8 guard from Boca Raton came in ranked 10th in her position for the class of 2014 by ESPN’s HoopGurlz.

“What is delayed is not necessarily denied,” said Head Coach Katie Meier. “It’s a guarantee in my mind that she’s having a great career here.”

The Canes will open their 2014-15 season Thursday with an exhibition game against Nova Southeastern at the BankUnited Center.

CROSS COUNTRY

The Hurricanes will compete in the 2014 ACC Championship Friday in Earlysville, Virginia at 10 a.m.

The team just ran its last regular season race at Westminster Academy Sports Complex. Sophomore Gabrielle Hesslau won the women’s five-kilometer race with a time of 19:40, leading Miami to a second-place finish.

Hesslau was aided by a top-10 performance from fellow sophomore Frida Carlsson, as well as top 20 finishes from Julia Koch and Mulloy Manning.

On the other hand, the men’s team did not place, but featured strong performances from senior Douglas Dourado (third place) and Sophomore Jon Keller (ninth place).

Danny New may be emailed at dnew@themiamihurricane.com.

Danny New