Miami’s spookiest spots

Ghost Tours

HistoryMiami will be leading ghost tours at City of Miami Cemetery, the city’s oldest cemetery, on Thursday. Lurk among the tombstones and mausoleums of historic people like the Burdine Family, founders of the Burdines department store; the Peacock Family, who helped found Coconut Grove; and  Julia Tuttle, the “Mother of Miami,” in addition to the 66 Confederate and 27 Union veterans buried there. Tours will be offered at 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Halloween Eve. Halloween costumes are optional, but don’t forget a flashlight for the spooky night.

For tickets and reservations, visit historymiami.org/tours.

Howl-O-Ween at CocoWalk

If you’re seeking a thrill, join the Halloween festivities with the Howl-O-Ween Extraordinaire at CocoWalk from 7 p.m. to 3 a.m. Friday. The night will include a live DJ and costume contests along with spooky experiences as you roam CocoWalk’s courtyard at midnight. The Adult Costume Contest will begin at 9:30 p.m.

For more information visit cocowalk.net.

House of Horror

Miami International Mall is hosting a House of Horror amusement park, the largest haunted house in South Florida. If you’re looking for a trail of fear filled with the unexpected, visit the attraction from 6 to 11 p.m. Monday though Thursday, 5 p.m. to midnight Friday and Saturday, or 5 to 11 p.m. Sunday. The House of Horror includes haunted rooms and carnival amusement rides for $25.

For tickets visit houseofhorrorpark.com.

Pumpkin Decorating Contest

All UM students and employees are welcome to participate in a pumpkin decorating contest, running from noon to 4 p.m. Friday in the Richter Library Breezeway. Show off your wicked talents for a chance to win one of four categories: best in show, scariest, most thematic and most humorous. Winners will be selected based on the pumpkins with the most votes.

Ghosts in the Garden

Join the Miami Beach Botanical Garden from 8 p.m. to midnight Friday to explore a medieval garden with ghosts and fantasy creatures. The event will feature a haunted forest, music, dancing, food and surprises. Come dressed to scare for the costume contest; winners will be awarded a giveaway at the Clevelander Hotel in Miami Beach.

For more information, visit mbgarden.org.

Lincoln Road Mall

Stroll along the streets of Lincoln Road Mall after dark on Friday to dance the night away or dine at one of the mall’s top restaurants. Visitors can also  hang out with the crowd on the patio and people-watch the spooky souls passing by. Don’t forget your best Halloween costume and makeup.

For more information, visit lincolnroadmall.com.

Fairchild’s Howl-o-ween

Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden invites visitors to enjoy the garden along with their four-legged friends. The Howl-o-ween celebration invites attendees to bring their dogs along and show off their Halloween costumes. Stroll through the tropical surroundings and enjoy the views with your pet from 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday.

For more information, visit fairchildgarden.org.

Terror in the Jungle

Jungle Island’s Terror in the Jungle event, running through Saturday, will be held from 7:30 p.m. to midnight or, as they claim, until the last victim is served. Visitors will be greeted by five acres of spooky attractions depicting a tropical jungle home to half-dead creatures and a crashed plane in the ruins of the Aztec city. With roaming zombies running in the wild, there is no telling what will be encountered at Terror in the Jungle.

For tickets, visit terrorinthejungle.com.

Emily Dabau

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...