Edge, Food

Haunted Hurricane bars are a spirited Homecoming treat

Canes Kitchen Recipe: Hair-raising Hurricane bars

Without the tell-tale signs of changing leaves and cooler temperatures, the only way to distinguish the fall season in Miami from any other is the emergence of pumpkin spice.

From the classic Starbucks lattes to candy corn to even the unlikely vehicle of potato chips, people can’t get enough of this autumnal indulgence.

With both Homecoming and Halloween just around the corner, here’s a quick, easy and delicious recipe to celebrate both your school and holiday spirit.

Madelyn Paquette // Contributing Photographer

Haunted Hurricane Bars

(Adapted from Averie Cooks: Soft Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars)

Prep time: 5 minutes

Cook time: 32-33 minutes

Ingredients:

1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
1 large egg
3/4 cup pumpkin puree (Don’t use pumpkin pie filling, they aren’t the same! Also, for dorm residents: be sure you own a can-opener. You can open cans caveman-style with other tools, but trust me, it’s no fun.)
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (You can buy it premade or mix your own with a combination of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves, if you have a fully-stocked spice rack)
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups Pumpkin Spice M&Ms (Conveniently green and orange to show your UM pride. You can substitute chocolate chips, but why would you?)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray an 8×8 in. baking pan with cooking spray for later.
  2. Microwave the butter in a large microwave-safe bowl until melted, about 30 seconds.
  3. Mix in the egg, brown sugar, pumpkin, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice until combined.
  4. Gradually stir in the flour until it is well-incorporated, but don’t overdo it, or the batter will become too tough.
  5. Add 1 1/4 cups M&M’s.
  6. Pour the mixture evenly into the prepared baking pan, smoothing the top to create a level surface.
  7. Sprinkle the remaining M&M’s (if you haven’t eaten them all) on the top, or if you’re feeling creative, decorate the bars with a spooky design or the U.
  8. Bake for 32 to 33 minutes, or until a toothpick poked in the center comes out clean. Let the bars cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into squares.

Madelyn Paquette

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...