Edge, Food

Haunted Hurricane bars are a spirited Homecoming treat

Canes Kitchen Recipe: Hair-raising Hurricane bars

Without the tell-tale signs of changing leaves and cooler temperatures, the only way to distinguish the fall season in Miami from any other is the emergence of pumpkin spice.

From the classic Starbucks lattes to candy corn to even the unlikely vehicle of potato chips, people can’t get enough of this autumnal indulgence.

With both Homecoming and Halloween just around the corner, here’s a quick, easy and delicious recipe to celebrate both your school and holiday spirit.

Madelyn Paquette // Contributing Photographer

Haunted Hurricane Bars

(Adapted from Averie Cooks: Soft Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars)

Prep time: 5 minutes

Cook time: 32-33 minutes

Ingredients:

1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
1 large egg
3/4 cup pumpkin puree (Don’t use pumpkin pie filling, they aren’t the same! Also, for dorm residents: be sure you own a can-opener. You can open cans caveman-style with other tools, but trust me, it’s no fun.)
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (You can buy it premade or mix your own with a combination of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves, if you have a fully-stocked spice rack)
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups Pumpkin Spice M&Ms (Conveniently green and orange to show your UM pride. You can substitute chocolate chips, but why would you?)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray an 8×8 in. baking pan with cooking spray for later.
  2. Microwave the butter in a large microwave-safe bowl until melted, about 30 seconds.
  3. Mix in the egg, brown sugar, pumpkin, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice until combined.
  4. Gradually stir in the flour until it is well-incorporated, but don’t overdo it, or the batter will become too tough.
  5. Add 1 1/4 cups M&M’s.
  6. Pour the mixture evenly into the prepared baking pan, smoothing the top to create a level surface.
  7. Sprinkle the remaining M&M’s (if you haven’t eaten them all) on the top, or if you’re feeling creative, decorate the bars with a spooky design or the U.
  8. Bake for 32 to 33 minutes, or until a toothpick poked in the center comes out clean. Let the bars cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into squares.

Madelyn Paquette

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

The start to former Miami Hurricanes defensive end Chad Thomas' NFL career is going through a m ...

At one section of Miami's Richmond Park, Hurricanes offensive line coach Stacy Searels taught a ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

UM News interviewed a Miami Business School professor to learn more about claims that the changes co ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

The University of Miami track and field program got off to a strong start at the 2018 USATF Junior O ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...

Symone Mason, Tiara McMinn and Hasani Knight will be in the field of competitors at the 2018 USATF J ...

During the 2017-18 school year, Miami had student-athletes from 17 of the 32 countries in the FIFA W ...