Edge, Food

Haunted Hurricane bars are a spirited Homecoming treat

Canes Kitchen Recipe: Hair-raising Hurricane bars

Without the tell-tale signs of changing leaves and cooler temperatures, the only way to distinguish the fall season in Miami from any other is the emergence of pumpkin spice.

From the classic Starbucks lattes to candy corn to even the unlikely vehicle of potato chips, people can’t get enough of this autumnal indulgence.

With both Homecoming and Halloween just around the corner, here’s a quick, easy and delicious recipe to celebrate both your school and holiday spirit.

Madelyn Paquette // Contributing Photographer

Haunted Hurricane Bars

(Adapted from Averie Cooks: Soft Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bars)

Prep time: 5 minutes

Cook time: 32-33 minutes

Ingredients:

1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
1 large egg
3/4 cup pumpkin puree (Don’t use pumpkin pie filling, they aren’t the same! Also, for dorm residents: be sure you own a can-opener. You can open cans caveman-style with other tools, but trust me, it’s no fun.)
1 cup light brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (You can buy it premade or mix your own with a combination of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and cloves, if you have a fully-stocked spice rack)
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups Pumpkin Spice M&Ms (Conveniently green and orange to show your UM pride. You can substitute chocolate chips, but why would you?)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray an 8×8 in. baking pan with cooking spray for later.
  2. Microwave the butter in a large microwave-safe bowl until melted, about 30 seconds.
  3. Mix in the egg, brown sugar, pumpkin, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice until combined.
  4. Gradually stir in the flour until it is well-incorporated, but don’t overdo it, or the batter will become too tough.
  5. Add 1 1/4 cups M&M’s.
  6. Pour the mixture evenly into the prepared baking pan, smoothing the top to create a level surface.
  7. Sprinkle the remaining M&M’s (if you haven’t eaten them all) on the top, or if you’re feeling creative, decorate the bars with a spooky design or the U.
  8. Bake for 32 to 33 minutes, or until a toothpick poked in the center comes out clean. Let the bars cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting into squares.

Madelyn Paquette

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...