Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Women’s cross country team finishes second

The Miami Hurricanes cross country team ran in the Western Academy Invitational in Lauderdale Lakes this weekend.

Freshman Gabrielle Hesslau won the women’s five-kilometer race with a time of 19:40.75, her second best time of the season. Seven other women represented the Hurricanes in the run. Sophomore Frida Carlsson finished sixth with a time of 20:22.42. As a team, the women finished in second place. Nova Southeastern won the team score with 25 points.

The men did not place but were led in the five-kilometer race by senior Douglas Dourado. He finished third with his season best time of 16:23.79. Sophomore Jon Keller followed Dourado and placed ninth. Freshman Sean Grossman and senior Anthony Ricketts placed 11th and 15th with times of 17:15.29 and 18:08.89 to finish the race for the Hurricanes. Jacob Alplund of Northwood took home the victory with a finish of 16:07.11.

Dourado and Keller had a breakout meet in September when they both broke the 26-minute mark in the eight-kilometer race at the Mountain Dew Invitational.

Next up, the Hurricanes head to the Atlantic Coast Conference Championships hosted by the University of Virginia. It kicks off on Friday with the women’s six-kilometer race scheduled for 10 a.m. This will be followed by the men’s eight-kilometer race. In last year’s championships at Wake Forest, Florida State won the women’s championship and Syracuse won the men’s title. Miami placed last for both divisions, with the women scoring 447 points and the men scoring 409.

Victoria Hernandez

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...