Soccer, Sports

Women’s soccer team stumbles

The Canes women’s soccer team fell to No. 5 North Carolina 3-0 on Sunday afternoon at Chapel Hill.

The loss to the Tar Heels caps a disastrous season on the road for the Hurricanes, who finished the regular season 1-8 away from Coral Gables.

Miami is now 1-7-1 in the ACC and 3-13-1 overall. The Canes are 13 our of 14 teams in the ACC, dangling at the bottom of the rankings. North Carolina continues their ACC success, second only to Florida state,  8-0-1 and 11-2-2 overall.

The Hurricanes hung tough with the fifth-ranked team in the nation for the first 28 minutes of the game until junior forward Paige Nielsen scored on a penalty kick to put the Tar Heels up 1-0.

North Carolina jumped on Miami early in the second half with a goal in the 54th minute by sophomore forward Emily Bruder. Bruder received a through ball by sophomore midfielder Joanna Boyles and fired it by senior goalkeeper Emily Lillard into the top left corner of the net.

Freshman forward Megan Buckingham put away the Hurricanes in the 77th minute with a goal off a cross by sophomore midfielder Cameron Castleberry.

The Tar Heels outshot the Hurricanes 17-5. Junior midfielder Amy Schmidt led the ‘Canes with two shots and one shot on goal.

The Hurricanes have now been shut out in five of their last six games and seven times overall this season.

The Canes finish their season against Wake Forest 1 p.m. Sunday at home.

Courtney Fiorini contributed to this report.

Mark Singer

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...