Edge, UBuzz

15 things Harry Potter fans (and muggles) need to see in Diagon Alley

What begins as a stroll through an ordinary London street transports muggles and wizards alike into the magical realm that is Diagon Alley. Cobbled streets take visitors past enchanted broomsticks, children casting spells with wands and the furious roar of a fire-breathing dragon.

These sights and sounds are the latest additions to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios, Orlando.

The Miami Hurricane was on the scene to delve through butterbeer ice cream, maneuver through a Magical Menagerie and explore the harrowing vaults of Gringotts to discover the top 15 attractions every witch, wizard or non-magical muggles have to see.

1. Grimmauld Place

15 Grimmauld Place Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

15 Grimmauld Place. Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

This street seems to be inhabited by muggles, unless one were to notice 12 Grimmauld Place, which has been hidden by a charm and become home to the Order of the Phoenix. The house-elf Kreacher often peeks (or sneers) out the window.

2. The Knight Bus

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

In the business of transporting magical folk all across the realm, the Knight Bus has made a stop to chat with locals and muggles alike. Don’t forget to check out the back to see what’s inside.

3. The Leaky Cauldron

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

On first glance, most people will miss this sign, so slow down to catch this iconic pub.

4. An unassuming telephone booth…or the Ministry of Magic entrance?

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

If you dial 62442 (magic) you may hear a special message from the Ministry.

5. Just an ordinary brick wall…

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

With the correct password, this wall leads you away from the muggle world into the magical shops at Diagon Alley.

6. Interactive map and wands

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Yes, you can now actually create magic in the parks with the help of this special map that tells you what spells to perform and where.

7. A fire-breathing dragon, ladies and gentlemen.

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Don’t cross this Ukrainian Ironbelly.

8. Escape from Gringotts

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

This bank claims to be the safest place in the wizarding world, with surreal security measures including countless enchantments and a guard dragon. As guests enter the grand lobby and wind through its hallways, they soon discover its defenses will be put to the test as they encounter familiar friends and foes.

9. The Magical Menagerie

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

THE place to get your next furry, scaled or poisonous best friend.

10. Knockturn Alley

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

You may not want to be seen frequenting the sketchy street too often, but you can’t miss the enchanting features on the interactive map that can only be seen in the dark.

11. Hagrid’s Motorcycle

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Everyone’s favorite half-giant must have forgotten where he parked his bike. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind if you took it for a spin…

12. Quality Quidditch Supplies

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

The sport of Quidditch is everything in the wizarding world, so you better stock up on your supplies.

13. Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes

This fine joke shop offers gags from exploding telescopes and puking pastels to extendable ears.

14. Ollivander’s

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

This is where the wand choses the wizard. Browse through the crammed shelves to find your perfect match.

15. The Hogwarts Express

Cue the tears. The Hogwarts Express has been transporting young witches and wizards to Hogwarts for centuries, and now you can embark on that same magical journey.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will conclude its regular season Sunday with a home d ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...