Dear V

Guide to inter-major conversation

Folks, we’re officially in the home stretch: that glorious time of year when midterms and finals mesh into one conglomerate of stress, and all you can think about is finally going back home for winter break to pretend you care about your high school friends again.

Well, during this time of intense slumber parties in the Stacks, students get so immersed in their studies that they eventually start to feel like they only ever interact with people in their own individual concentration of study.

But have no fear, V is here to help. Here is a list of talking points and conversation starters so you can stay connected and friendly with pupils of some different majors.

School of Nursing

• What’s your favorite floral print to wear on your scrubs?
  • Are you more of a Carla Espinosa or a Paul Flowers?
  • Do the nurse practitioners sit at the “cool” table?
  • What do you think will be better: hospital food or Chartwell’s tasty cuisine?
  • Do you ever find things to laugh at other than doctors?

School of Engineering

• So what’s your excuse for thinking you’re better than everyone else?
  • I tripped on one of your Lego bridges in Stanford one night and broke my ankle. Check, please.
  • What is it like still bragging about your math score on the SAT?
  • You have to take calculus. Thank you for reminding me my life isn’t that bad.
  • Do you have a “Bridge Over Troubled Water” tramp stamp?

RSMAS

• Will they actually find Dory?
  • Have you ever performed coral sex?
  • Are swordfish overcompensating?
  • Is “Sharknado” possible? And if so, can it kill Kim Kardashian?
  • Wait … we have an atmospheric science program?

School of Communication

• I like your hair.
  • Want to know the secret to surviving CEM 245?
  • Hi, I’d like you to meet my friend. His name is textbook. Have you ever met?
  • About how many times have you accidently said your major was pubic relations?
  • Do we have a TV station?

College of Arts and Sciences

• I heard that people pick majors that make money, too.

Advice Columnist

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...