Sports Briefs 10/16

Women’s Basketball

Head Coach Katie Meier’s contract has been extended through the 2021 season, but she will be giving some of that money right back.

The Duke alumna announced immediately after that she will donate $75,000 to the University of Miami’s woman’s athletics.

This is an effort to challenge South Florida and demonstrate support for female sports and the Hurricanes. So far, the school has already netted $500,000 in donations – including the single biggest gift in UM’s women’s sports history.

Coach Meier will continue her regime Nov. 14 at the Bank United Center against Oakland.

Volleyball

The Volleyball squad will play its annual “Dig Pink” match Friday at the Knight Sports Complex against Virginia Tech – almost a week after the football fans did the same.

This annual event raises awareness and shows support for curing breast cancer. T-shirts with the “Dig Pink” logo can be purchased at the game for $10. All proceeds go to the UM Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center.

Danny New may be emailed at dnew@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...