News Briefs 10/16

David Coleman, the “Dating Doctor,” offers students dating and relationship advise during his show. Student Government and Hurricane Productions hosted the event Tuesday night in the SAC Ballrooms. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

UStop Diabetes

Sponsored by the University of Miami School of Nursing and Health Studies and the American Diabetes Association, the second annual UStop Diabetes event will be raising awareness with diabetes screenings, fitness activities, healthy cooking demonstrations and healthy snacks. The awareness event is free and open to the public, and will be held from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Oct. 22 at the Lakeside Patio.

Kathakali Dance Performance

A three-man troupe touring U.S. universities to perform Kathakali, a traditional dance of India, will be making a stop at the University of Miami. The performance consists of using facial expressions and gestures to tell stories, along with elaborate costumes and dramatic makeup. At 10:30 a.m. on Oct. 22, the performers will be having a makeup demonstration in Room 211 of the University Center, followed by a performance at 12:30 p.m. at the Lakeside Patio.

“American Promise” Screening

Sundance award-winning documentary “American Promise,” which addresses race in the American school system, will be screened at 6:30 p.m. on Oct. 23 at the Cosford Cinema. The film follows two African-American boys as they enter one of the most prestigious private schools in the country. The event, hosted by the University of Miami School of Law, will be followed with a lecture by the film’s director in the Student Activities Center Senate Room.

Homecoming Opening Ceremonies

Homecoming kicks off at 6 p.m. on Oct. 23 at the Lakeside Patio. The festivities will begin with the Opening Ceremony, featuring a screening of “Ratatouille,” and student organizations will compete for best dessert, presentation and costumes in the competition, “Cooking Up Some []_[] Spirit.” Food will be provided.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...