News Briefs 10/16

David Coleman, the “Dating Doctor,” offers students dating and relationship advise during his show. Student Government and Hurricane Productions hosted the event Tuesday night in the SAC Ballrooms. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

UStop Diabetes

Sponsored by the University of Miami School of Nursing and Health Studies and the American Diabetes Association, the second annual UStop Diabetes event will be raising awareness with diabetes screenings, fitness activities, healthy cooking demonstrations and healthy snacks. The awareness event is free and open to the public, and will be held from 10:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Oct. 22 at the Lakeside Patio.

Kathakali Dance Performance

A three-man troupe touring U.S. universities to perform Kathakali, a traditional dance of India, will be making a stop at the University of Miami. The performance consists of using facial expressions and gestures to tell stories, along with elaborate costumes and dramatic makeup. At 10:30 a.m. on Oct. 22, the performers will be having a makeup demonstration in Room 211 of the University Center, followed by a performance at 12:30 p.m. at the Lakeside Patio.

“American Promise” Screening

Sundance award-winning documentary “American Promise,” which addresses race in the American school system, will be screened at 6:30 p.m. on Oct. 23 at the Cosford Cinema. The film follows two African-American boys as they enter one of the most prestigious private schools in the country. The event, hosted by the University of Miami School of Law, will be followed with a lecture by the film’s director in the Student Activities Center Senate Room.

Homecoming Opening Ceremonies

Homecoming kicks off at 6 p.m. on Oct. 23 at the Lakeside Patio. The festivities will begin with the Opening Ceremony, featuring a screening of “Ratatouille,” and student organizations will compete for best dessert, presentation and costumes in the competition, “Cooking Up Some []_[] Spirit.” Food will be provided.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...