Club aims to eliminate modern-day slavery

Last year, junior David Beltran heard the heartfelt message of Gary Haugen, founder of International Justice Mission (IJM), a human rights nonprofit organization.

This inspired Beltran to establish a chapter of IJM on campus to educate his peers about how modern-day slavery affects the lives of people today.

“What we’re trying to do here is raise awareness,” he said. “We’re raising our voices and raising support to end modern day oppression and injustices. There are people whose land has been unfairly seized by the government and people who are being unjustly incarcerated.”

IJM is also partnering with local child advocacy center Kristi House, a nonprofit that responds to child sex trafficking cases in Miami-Dade and aids in supporting the victims’ emotional and health needs to connect with the outside community.

While IJM’s primary focus is contributing to efforts of abolishing modern-day slavery, it also fights for a multitude of issues seen as aggressions against basic civil liberties, including sexual violence, abusive law enforcement practices and governmental property grabbing.

When he began building the club, Beltran sought the assistance of people from an organization he was already heavily involved in, Campus Crusade for Christ. With their help, he organized a group  that was committed to IJM’s goal of improving the lives of those still living under slavery.

“[Slavery] is a huge issue in Miami, in the U.S. and in the world,” said David Duba, a member IJM. “IJM empowers students who are capable in a lot of different ways … It’s only the first year, and I’m impressed by the energy of the e-board and by the president’s ability to push the new club into existence and get so far.”

Beltran believes that the option of fighting against such slavery and global oppressive forces should be available for UM students.

“The campus really needs this organization because there’s no one else on campus making it their mission to represent modern-day slavery,” he said.

International Justice Mission meets every other Wednesday in UC 205. 

Danielle Reid

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...