Four athletes named ACC Players of the Week

The Canes can boast about their athletic successes this week.

Three football players and one women’s volleyball player were honored with ACC Player of the Week Monday. Miami had the most players recognized in football this week.

Senior Phillip Dorsett was selected as the ACC Receiver of the Week, junior Tyriq McCord as ACC Co-Linebacker of the Week and freshman quarterback Brad Kaaya was ACC Rookie of the Week.

Outside hitter Savanah Leaf was recognized for outstanding performance in this past weekend’s two away games against Syracuse University and Boston College.

This comes on the heels of a convincing 55-34 win over Cincinnati Saturday.

This is Dorsett’s second Player of the Week honor this season. The wide receiver also surpassed 100 receiving yards twice this season. He caught three passes for 143 yards and a 79-yard receiving touchdown in the third quarter, the longest of his career, during Saturday’s game.

McCord made his first career interception return for a touchdown, two tackles and a sack at Saturday’s game.

“It was an amazing feeling. This was my first pick six,” he said after the Cincinnati game. “You don’t get those opportunities on defense.”

Rookie Kaaya had 200 passing  yards for the fifth game in a row. He completed the game with 286 passing yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions. 

“Just taking care of the ball, whether it’s proper exchange or good decisions,” he said after Saturday’s game. “That was an emphasis this week.”

Dorsett, McCord and Kaaya were not able to comment at the time of publication because there was no media availability the week of fall break.

Courtney Fiorini

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...