Four athletes named ACC Players of the Week

The Canes can boast about their athletic successes this week.

Three football players and one women’s volleyball player were honored with ACC Player of the Week Monday. Miami had the most players recognized in football this week.

Senior Phillip Dorsett was selected as the ACC Receiver of the Week, junior Tyriq McCord as ACC Co-Linebacker of the Week and freshman quarterback Brad Kaaya was ACC Rookie of the Week.

Outside hitter Savanah Leaf was recognized for outstanding performance in this past weekend’s two away games against Syracuse University and Boston College.

This comes on the heels of a convincing 55-34 win over Cincinnati Saturday.

This is Dorsett’s second Player of the Week honor this season. The wide receiver also surpassed 100 receiving yards twice this season. He caught three passes for 143 yards and a 79-yard receiving touchdown in the third quarter, the longest of his career, during Saturday’s game.

McCord made his first career interception return for a touchdown, two tackles and a sack at Saturday’s game.

“It was an amazing feeling. This was my first pick six,” he said after the Cincinnati game. “You don’t get those opportunities on defense.”

Rookie Kaaya had 200 passing  yards for the fifth game in a row. He completed the game with 286 passing yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions. 

“Just taking care of the ball, whether it’s proper exchange or good decisions,” he said after Saturday’s game. “That was an emphasis this week.”

Dorsett, McCord and Kaaya were not able to comment at the time of publication because there was no media availability the week of fall break.

Courtney Fiorini

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...