Sports, Volleyball

Miami wins away games

The Hurricanes are finding their stride in ACC play.

After splitting the first two weekends in the ACC schedule, the Miami volleyball squad (11-6, 4-2) quickly handled Syracuse (7-11, 0-6) and Boston College (7-9, 2-3) in 3-1 and 3-0 victories away from the Knight Sports Complex.

Depth was the story Friday in Syracuse, where four Hurricanes registered double-doubles. Senior Award candidate Savanah Leaf led the team with 25 kills and 14 digs, while junior Taylor Scott and redshirt sophomore Kelsie Groot also notched double digits in these categories.

Two-time ACC Freshman of the Week Haley Templeton contributed team highs with 15 digs and a career-best 53 assists – a total she has accumulated four times this season.

Miami dropped the first set 22-25, but then rallied to earn the conclusive three with 26-24, 25-16 and 25-21 tallies. Besides beating the Orange last year, this is the first time the Canes have played these ACC newcomers since 2003.

On Sunday, the orange and green traveled near Bean Town to take on the Boston College Eagles.

Coach Jose “Keno” Gandara and company completed a sweep that required close, nail-biting victories in 25-21, 25-23, 25-20 fashion.

California-native Leaf led the way with 17 kills on a .382 winning percentage. Once again, the winning formula comprised of Leaf topping the scoring column and Templeton garnering the most assists – this time with 32.

Senior Emani Sims contributed 11 kills – including the game-winning one on an assist from Templeton – and Scott added nine.

As a whole, the team hit a .262 kill percentage, while the Eagles mustered a .101.

Now at 4-2 in the ACC, the Hurricanes will most likely maintain their No. 5 spot in the ACC standings.

Nevertheless, they will look to improve that standing and continue their conference success as they welcome Virginia Tech (third to last in the ACC standing) 7 p.m. Friday  in the Knight Sports Complex.

Danny New

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team fought valiantly at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center, but ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...