V's Take

Lacking confidence has consequences

A student contacted me and needed advice.

He was upset because he had just asked a girl out, and it did not yield a positive result.

He went up to her and said, “For no particular reason, I would like to buy you dinner.”

And, for a certain particular reason, she rejected him.

To convey why his question was an atrocious idea, ladies and gentlemen, I present to you “Confidence: A Play on Words.”

SCENE: A beautiful freshman girl is sitting outside Starbucks at the SAC. She is so beautiful that when the wind blows, she is doing Mother Earth a favor by showing how her gusts can make golden locks shimmer and dance. She is working on chemistry homework while sipping a Starbucks beverage that only cost one monthly car payment. Tim nervously shuffles over to her.

Tim: Oh hey, Cara! Working on that chemistry h-dubs?

Cara: Hi Tim! Yeah, it’s a total buzzkill. Have you finished?

Tim: Yeah, I stayed up late last night. It didn’t take that long because I was listening to Fabolous, so I wanted to finish as quickly as possible.

Cara giggles. Her giggle is so adorable that suddenly, ten angels get their wings. But only six wings because Cincinnati didn’t punt enough in the football game.

Tim: I’m sorry. I should have invited you to do it with me. We could have done it together or something. I don’t know. Maybe I’m kind of rambling now. Sorry, sorry, sorry.

Cara: It’s okay! Next time! Ugh, I wish we did though, because I wanted to go to the Grove tonight.

Tim: I like Grove.

Cara: Um, that’s nice. Me too!

Tim: Maybe, for no reason at all, I’m just saying … we could, like, go to the Grove together?

Cara: Are you asking me out on a date?

Tim: What? No … I just … Um ….

Suddenly, a pile of bricks falls from the sky falls on his head. And he dies. He then goes to heaven, where ten hungry angels eat him while awaiting the next football game.

Tim then plummets to the underworld, where he is greeted by Ashton Kutcher.

Tim: Ashton Kutcher, what are you doing here? You’re still alive.

Ashton: I am alive, but my career is dead.

Tim: Oh right. Duh. Ashton, I don’t understand, why am in hell? I’m a good boy. I always carried those UNICEF boxes with me on Halloween so I could hold more candy.

Ashton: Because you’re an idiot, dude. You have no idea how to ask out a woman. Especially Cara. You butchered that one, man.

Tim: What? No way. We were good friends. And I was just asking her to the Grove.

Ashton (in a mimicking voice): “Um … uh … hey Cara ….Will you like…” Failure. Dude, you’re so pathetic. Haven’t you seen “No Strings Attached?”

Tim: No one has.

Ashton: Shut up. I totally avoid getting friend-zoned by the end of that movie. And in “Valentine’s Day,” I end up with Jennifer Garner after being best friends with her for the whole two-hour movie.

Tim: I want those two hours back.

Ashton: Hey man, shut up. I was doing great as Charlie Sheen’s replacement on “Two and a Half Jokes.” But listen, my point is you totally stumbled through that proposal. You can’t just pretend you think you might know what you want. If you want to be with a girl, you have to just ask her out and be confident. Let her know what you want. You can always go back to being friends if she is actually a good friend.

Tim: Wow, that’s actually a good point. Ugh, now I wish I was more assertive and confident with her.

Suddenly, “Hero” by Enrique Iglesias starts playing, and Tim and Ashton walk off sullenly into the sunset.

Advice Columnist

It was just two and a half short months ago that the Miami Hurricanes walked off the field at Hard R ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

View some of the best pictures from the No. 31 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 victory ove ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...