Football, Sports

Offense plays best game yet

Senior wide receiver Phillip Dorset celebrates one of his two touchdowns during Saturday’s Family Day game against Cincinnati. The Canes won 55-34. Matthew Trabold // Contributing Photographer

On a clear, sunny day, coming off a performance at Georgia Tech that’s drawn more criticism than any other loss this season, the Miami Hurricanes honored their newest Hall of Fame class with their best offensive performance, drubbing the Cincinnati Bearcats 55-34 at Sun Life Stadium.

As his freshman year progresses, Brad Kaaya continues to show the leadership and poise that has been a silver lining in the dark cloud that’s hovered over the Canes this year.

Kaaya completed 17 of 24 pass attempts for 286 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions.

The bigger story though was one of the best performances by the ground unit in over a decade.

Duke Johnson and Joe Yearby each had 100-yard days – 162 for Johnson and 113 for Yearby. It’s the first game that’s happened in Miami history since Jarrett Payton and Tyrone Moss at Pittsburgh in 2003.

Johnson also had 16 receiving yards, so with his 178 all-purpose yards, he’s passed Santana Moss for the most all-purpose yards in Hurricanes history with 4,397.

Even Gus Edwards ran down the sidelines for a touchdown. Miami’s running game gained 335 rushing yards for only the second time in 11 years, the other during a 2007 loss to NC State.

Johnson credited the entire team for motivating him.

“I think my coaches and my teammates put me in the best position to get the record. I couldn’t do it by myself,” Johnson said. “From the moment I stepped on campus, each coach, each running back’s coach, each…teammate I had all played a part in this.”

Neil Dwyer

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...