Football, Sports

Offense plays best game yet

Senior wide receiver Phillip Dorset celebrates one of his two touchdowns during Saturday’s Family Day game against Cincinnati. The Canes won 55-34. Matthew Trabold // Contributing Photographer

On a clear, sunny day, coming off a performance at Georgia Tech that’s drawn more criticism than any other loss this season, the Miami Hurricanes honored their newest Hall of Fame class with their best offensive performance, drubbing the Cincinnati Bearcats 55-34 at Sun Life Stadium.

As his freshman year progresses, Brad Kaaya continues to show the leadership and poise that has been a silver lining in the dark cloud that’s hovered over the Canes this year.

Kaaya completed 17 of 24 pass attempts for 286 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions.

The bigger story though was one of the best performances by the ground unit in over a decade.

Duke Johnson and Joe Yearby each had 100-yard days – 162 for Johnson and 113 for Yearby. It’s the first game that’s happened in Miami history since Jarrett Payton and Tyrone Moss at Pittsburgh in 2003.

Johnson also had 16 receiving yards, so with his 178 all-purpose yards, he’s passed Santana Moss for the most all-purpose yards in Hurricanes history with 4,397.

Even Gus Edwards ran down the sidelines for a touchdown. Miami’s running game gained 335 rushing yards for only the second time in 11 years, the other during a 2007 loss to NC State.

Johnson credited the entire team for motivating him.

“I think my coaches and my teammates put me in the best position to get the record. I couldn’t do it by myself,” Johnson said. “From the moment I stepped on campus, each coach, each running back’s coach, each…teammate I had all played a part in this.”

Neil Dwyer

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...