News Briefs 10/6

Think Pink Week Survivor Celebration

Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center and Zeta Tau Alpha will kick off Think Pink Week with a Survivor Celebration at 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday at the Student Activities Center (SAC) patio. A group photo will be taken of a human ribbon and guest speakers, including cancer survivors Lainey Kieffer and author Paula Holland De Long. Kieffer will share her story of being diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 28. De Long is a life coach and award-winning author who will speak on advocacy and living in the moment. Food and beverages will be served at the event, and shirts will be available for purchase.

‘Jumanji’ Screening

A Robin Williams tribute will be hosted by Hurricane Productions and the Cinematic Arts Commission with a screening of “Jumanji” at 9:30 p.m. Tuesday at the Cosford Cinema. The film follows two kids who save a man who was trapped inside a board game for 26 years. Together, they try to make it to the end of the Jumanji game. The film stars Robin Williams, Kirsten Dunst and Bradley Pierce. The event will also feature a presentation by the Counseling Center to raise awareness about mental health. It is free for students with a Cane Card.

Songwriter’s Showcase

Cat 5 Music Publishing is now accepting submissions for the seventh annual Songwriter’s Showcase, a featured concert of Festival Miami. The showcase will be held on Oct. 23 in Gusman Hall. Ten finalists will be selected to perform in front of a panel of celebrity judges.

In the past, judges have included Grammy-winning artists Bruce Hornsby and Jon Secada. To submit an original song, visit cat5music.com. The deadline for submissions is Wednesday at 11:59 p.m.

Relaxation for Coping with Stress Seminar

The Well Canes Wellness Incentives Program is holding a lunchtime seminar on managing day-to-day anxiety and stress with calming relaxation techniques from noon to 1 p.m. on Tuesday in the University Center (UC) room 211.

Students will learn how to identify stress, recognize stress reactions and use stress reduction methods to manage stress. The seminar will be led by a University of Miami Faculty and Staff Assistance Program consultant. To register, visit ulearn.miami.edu.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...