Community, Edge, Music

Rock musician bridges gap between generations

Photo Courtesy jackwhiteiii.com.

Photo Courtesy jackwhiteiii.com.

Last Monday, the Miami Beach Fillmore was lit Lazaretto blue. As the curtains peeled back, a short-haired figure stood center stage. “Is that him?” whispered the fan beside me. We were thinking the same thing – where was the black-bobbed rock god we came to see? Then the figure played a familiar riff, and the band erupted into the White Stripes’ “Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground.” The figure was, indeed, Jack White.

The crowd was a motley crew of Raconteurs fans, forty-somethings from the early White Stripes years and a few younger followers of Jack’s solo work. The show’s culmination of head-banging “Steady As She Goes,” blues-rock “Just One Drink,” and soft, acoustic “Blunderbuss” kept the unlikely mix roaring in unison throughout the two-hour set. Fiddle meshed with face-melting guitar in the tour’s live debut of “Lazaretto,” Jack White’s second studio album, as a tribute to both his Detroit roots and current Nashville residence. The show was a vibrant balance of 90’s nostalgia and riveting new music.

Throughout this performance which seemed to have everything, something was noticeably missing: cell phones. Jack urged the crowd to put down their devices and live in the moment – he made photos of the performance available for free on his website, jackwhiteiii.com, so that fans could have high-quality keepsakes without missing a beat. The audience cheered unanimously at his request. Instead of a sea of small blue lights, the pit was starkly black against the bright blue stage.

When the curtains closed at the end of Jack’s acoustic set, the screams and applause tapered off. Then a low chant crept up from all corners of the crowd, and soon every person in the room was bellowing the riff from the White Stripes’ “Seven Nation Army.” After a few dozen chants, the band tore off into a medley of White Stripes songs, all building up to the inevitable end. When the first chord of “Seven Nation Army” rang out, every fan sang the same guttural chant. Each word of the song was echoed back from the pitch black crowd. After a world-rocking mix of genres and generations, this perennial favorite was the perfect finale.

Haley Walker

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...