V's Take

Mind your social media presence … or else

First off, I hate the words “social media.” It sounds like a recruiter trying to encourage students to “Facebook” their company. So let’s not.

Many bored, unqualified researchers speculate that social media websites discourage communication because it makes younger peeps rely on computers to converse instead of doing so in person.

Well, actually, it opens a new form of communication. It only broadens the spectrum, not replaces one.

The problem, however, is focused on how the fastest form of communication tarnishes relationships.

With so many opportunities to scare, anger, or roid-rage-induce your significant other with profile pictures, secret photo albums, misread Tweets, etc., it is too easy to puncture the pact of you and your lover(s).

As always, your faithful V is here with advice – steaming and cheesy in a fresh box from Miami’s Best … or … I guess now Pizza Hut. Oy.

Profile Pictures

If you post a picture featuring you and someone who’s just your “best friend,” your lover will get uber jelly it’s not her or him. You might be thinking, “No, Karen would never take the time to stalk my pics and read that far into them.” But Kare-Bear does.

When college kiddies are getting ready for bed, guess what they do. They still check their phones. Everyone has a smartphone now – and no one is checking their stocks.

So be smart. Put yourself in your lover’s Sperry’s. And hey, if you’re truly a monogamous being anyway, which is a rare gem, you should want to send a message out to the world that you’re taken … but not by Liam Neeson.

Sarcastic Tweets

Before every Tweet, ask yourself if TMZ could ruin a celebrity’s career with it.

“It’s not rape if the person is passed out.” Guess who said that? Cee Lo Green. Guess who doesn’t have a reality show anymore? I’ll give you a hint: he’s short, bald and has more tattoos than a hipster who loves Shakespeare.

Your companion’s reputation speaks volumes about you. If you date a jerk-face football player, members of the “framily” will think, “Wow, if she likes that d-wad, she totes must be too.”

So don’t embarrass your loved ones. Don’t tweet insensitive feelings about rape, domestic violence or racism.

You might think you’re funny by making a joke about Ray Rice, but your girlfriend or  boyfriend will leave you if you really think domestic violence is funny.

Final V-DICT

Overall, social media enables faster and more honest communication, so be careful using this speculative weapon of mass destruction. Or just delete your social media accounts. In 20 years, you’ll be embarrassed when you see how the people in these pictures look by then.

Advice Columnist

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...