News Briefs 9/25

Hallee Meltzer // Assistant Photo Editor

Laquita Phillips, the Hurricane Productions graduate assistant, rides The Chili Pepper at the Rat Rodeo Wednesday. The Rathskeller Advisory Board (RAB) organized a Western-themed event that also featured a photo booth. Hallee Meltzer // Assistant Photo Editor

USpeak

USpeak Flash Fiction & Poetry open mic event, hosted by the national undergraduate literary journal of the University of Miami Department of English, “Mangrove,” will take place at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Wesley House. The event will include a performance from Miami poet Jose A. Villar-Portela. Attendees are welcome to read their work, play their music and listen to others’ art. For more information, visit miami.edu/uspeak.

U Got Consent?

Take a stand against sexual violence from 12 to 2 p.m. on Thursday at the Rock. The Yellow Rose Society will be collecting signatures as a pledge against sexual violence. There will be educational information on sexual consent in an effort to inform the campus and community on the topic and to encourage safety and prevention.

Russian Tea Party

Join your fellow Canes in the Eastern European Club and the Student Health Advisory Committee (SHAC) for a Russian dessert and tea party from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. on Thursday in the Student Activities Center (SAC) Iron Arrow room.

Homecoming Concert Tickets 

This year, Hurricane Productions and the Concerts Committee are bringing Matt and Kim and Fabolous to campus as the homecoming concert performers. Tickets to the concert will be on sale from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. beginning Monday at the University Center ticket window. There are two types of tickets: general admission floor (GA Floor) and general admission seats (GA Seats). Floor tickets are available for students only. However, there are no chairs on the floor. Floor tickets will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis.

Emily Dabau may be contacted at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “News Briefs 9/25”

1. new says:

This article is intersted and I must to follow it. I Loveenglish

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...