Massive tower to define ‘new Miami’

If Miami is defined by its beaches, the humidity, and the widespread availability of cafe con leche, it is also unmistakable for its skyline. But that iconic silhouette is about to change.

In 2017, Skyrise Miami, a 1,000-foot skyscraper to be built next to Bayside Marketplace near downtown, is expected to be completed. The tower, intended as a tourist attraction, will feature panoramic observation decks, a nightclub, and thrill rides like a 50-story free fall experience.

It is destined, as its developer Jeff Berkowitz told The Huffington Post, to “forever change the skyline and become a symbol of the new Miami.”

But what exactly is the “new” Miami? For that matter, what is Miami currently?

Even if neither answer is clear, the contrast is obvious. With the sleek, futuristic curves of its hairpin shape, Skyrise Miami will look out of place in the city’s otherwise razor-edged profile. It certainly seems that this building has emerged from an upcoming era.

A city, however, cannot develop its own history by constructing buildings that look like they were sent from 100 years into the future. Does Miami really need to be known worldwide for its possession of a fancy, 1,000-foot-tall tourist gimmick?

Of course, New York wouldn’t be New York without a Statue of Liberty, nor would Paris be Paris without the Eiffel Tower, and even these landmarks were initially criticized for changing the cities’ impression. It may be that opposition to Skyrise Miami stems at least in part from an internal resistance to change.

Nevertheless, each major city has its own essence that may be impossible to describe in words, but which certainly exists; few will argue that being in New Orleans feels exactly like being in Philadelphia. That essence does not appear in an instant.

A city should come into its own gradually and organically. It should not be wrenched into a possible future with zero comprehension of its slowly developing identity.

Already approved by voters, Skyrise Miami will sprout in the skyline no matter how we feel about it now. But before “the new Miami” arrives, we should all take a moment to reflect on what Miami currently means to the people who call it home.

Find pictures of Skyrise Miami on themiamihurricane.com.

Editorial Board

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...