Featured, Sports

Canes crumble under Nebraska offense

Senior tight end Clive Walford (No. 46) second touchdown to go up 13 to 7 with 13:52 in the second quarter. Photo by Chris Dorwart

Senior tight end Clive Walford (No. 46) grabs his second touchdown to put Miami up 13 to 7 with 13:52 in the second quarter. Photo by Chris Dorwart

The Miami Hurricanes (2-2) fall to the Nebraska Cornhuskers (4-0) 41-31 in their first rematch since the 2002 Rose Bowl.

Nebraska RB Ameer Abdullah ran all over the Miami defense, breaking the all-time school record for all-purpose yardage with a 229 yard performance.

On the other side of the ball, true freshman Brad Kaaya showed flashes of greatness – passing for 359 yards and three touchdowns. However, the California native still showed some growing pains, throwing two interceptions and permitting a few delay-of-game penalties early in the game.

The Hurricanes looked strong after driving 75 yards for a Duke Johnson score on the first drive, but the Big Red quickly answered with a 40-yard bomb to senior Kenny Bell.

The offensive shootout continued up until the end of the first half, when Nebraska kicker Drew Brown put the ball through the uprights for a 17-14 Husker lead.

After an exchange of scores from Abdullah and Miami Wideout Malcolm Lewis, the Hurricanes were within three again with 4:57 to go in the third. That momentum would be shattered though when Duke Johnson fumbled in enemy territory, leading to a 40-yard touchdown recovery by Nebraska defensive man Josh Mitchell.

The Hurricanes would remain within striking distance for the remainder of the game, until Abdullah scored again with 3:05 to go to elevate the Huskers to a 17-point lead.

On the next drive, Kaaya connected with fellow freshman Braxton Berrios to bring it back to 10, but after a failed onside kick in the following seconds, the Huskers avenged their 2002 Rose Bowl defeat.

Miami will next play against Duke (4-0) Saturday for their second ACC match of the year.

Danny New

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...