Edge, Food

A Guide to International Cuisine

The allure of a diverse and global college experience has drawn many students to the university, as it was ranked No. 1 in cultural diversity by The Princeton Review in 2011. While meeting people on campus who are from all around the world is a great way to gain from this experience, local restaurants provide a chance for students to dive into several cultures using all five senses.

Thailand: Moon Thai

Right across U.S. 1 from UM, Moon Thai offers a variety of Thai cuisine in a convenient location. The restaurant is constantly busy with people brave enough to step out of their comfort zones and explore a new world of flavors. Taste the traditional pad Thai for the most authentic experience.

Moon Thai is located at 1118 S Dixie Hwy, Coral Gables, FL, 33146

Open: Lunch + Dinner 7 days a week

Spain: Delicias de España 

Delicias de Espana has been around for 40 years and imports some of its ingredients directly from Spain. Though the menu changes daily, be sure to try the popular dish huevos a la flamenca for breakfast, and the traditional chocolate con churros for a weekday afternoon pick-me-up.

Delicias de España is located at 4016 SW 57th Ave Miami, FL 33155 

Open: Lunch + Dinner 7 days a week (except dinner on Sundays)

Italy: Calamari Restaurant

Travel to Italy with the flavors from Calamari Restaurant. Calamari features a bounty of Italian favorites like risotto, veal and lobster ravioli.  Calamari’s different menus for lunch, dinner and weekend brunch allow diners to get a full taste of this classic cuisine.

Calamari Restaurant is located at 3540 Main Highway Coconut Grove, FL 33133.

Open: Monday to Thursday: 11:30 am – 11:00 pm

Friday: 11:30 am – 11:30 pm

Saturday: 10:00 am – 11:30 pm
Sunday 11:00 am – 10:00 pm               

Cuba: Rinconcito El Chele

This diner serves Cuban comfort food and offers dozens of dishes. Experience Cuba as you try traditional ropa vieja,  baby churrasco, malanga cream soup and a sweet tres leches cake for dessert. Intrigue your five senses as you indulge in these unfamiliar dishes.

Rinconcito El Chele is located at 3791 Bird Road, Coral Gables, FL 33146

Open: Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner 7 days a week

Japan: Akashi

Take a trip to Akashi and dive into the world of Japanese cuisine. As you watch sushi chefs prepare your meal, be sure to smell the flavorful seafood, take a bite into Akashi’s sushi, and listen to the joyous atmosphere.  The spot aims to let people experience all types of seafood through its variety of sushi.

Akashi is located at 5830 S Dixie Hwy, South Miami, FL 33143

Open: Mon – Thu. 11:30- 2:30, 5-11

Fri. – 11:30-2:30, 5-12:30

Sat- 12pm- 12:30 am

Sun 1-11pm

Latin America: Jaguar Ceviche Spoon Bar and LatAm Grill 

For a taste of Latin American cuisine, head over to Jaguar Ceviche Spoon Bar and Latam Grill. This fusion restaurant provides customers with dishes from countries like Argentina, Chile,  Peru and Brazil. The rich, decadent entrees contrast the refreshing and light ceviche that can start off your meal.

3067 Grand Avenue Coconut Grove FL, 33133

Nadijah Campbell

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

A UM physicist comments on the passing of British theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking. ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...

The University of Miami rowing team kicked off its spring season at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Hurricanes fell behind early and could not recover Saturday afternoon, falling to No. 23 Duke, 4 ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team had its superb 2017-18 season come to an end Sa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will go into a match ranked for the first time this s ...