Edge, Featured, Music

Matt and Kim, Fabolous to headline Homecoming concert

photo

A representative from Hurricane Productions, alongside Sebastian the Ibis and the band B.Miles, announces the Homecoming concert headliners during Patio Jams Thursday. Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Matt And Kim and Fabolous will be headlining the 2014 Homecoming concert, Hurricane Productions (HP) announced Thursday at the UC Patio.

The concert will take place at 8 p.m. on Oct. 30. The first release of concert tickets will be on Sept. 29 in the University Center window.

Matt and Kim are an indie dance duo best known for the hit song “Daylight.” Fabolous is a hip-hop artist. Both acts are originally from Brooklyn, New York.

According to Clayton Kryvicky, concert chair for HP, the focus this year was to bring artists to campus who would represent the diverse music tastes of the student body.

“We really wanted to try to appeal to as many students as possible,” he said. “In the past, rap has been very popular, and it still is obviously today, but there are so many other students that are interested in other different genres.”

The concert will incorporate dance music and hip-hop styles in an effort to meet students’ interests.

Sophomore Christian Braven was expecting a bigger name for the reveal, but is still excited for Homecoming.

“I don’t think it’s on the same level as last year, because last year Big Sean was amazing,” she said. “Fabolous is good, but I thought he’s not on that level.”

Students can pick up one free ticket by showing their Cane Card. Faculty and alumni can pick up tickets two days later. The following week, if tickets are still available, students can pick up a second ticket for a friend.

Emily Dabau

5 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Matt and Kim, Fabolous to headline Homecoming concert”

1. Michelle says:

Actual students opinions
    1. Oh god, please not ANOTHER rapper.
    2. Who are these people?
    3. Why can’t we get better artists? Mainstream ones that everyone would like

2. Vicky says:

Our concerts here suck compared to FIU. Who is this Fabolouso? Why can’t we get artists that aren’t rappers/hip hop. UM used to bring great people like Coldplay. I feel like there is someone controlling our concert options so it always caters to their needs and not the needs of the majority of the students

3. Nicole says:

I would love to see something heavier. Rock or metal, something of that variety. There’s a huge fan base for that stuff here, but we get swept under the carpet a lot.

4. Henry says:

LOL, did that nigga said Fabolous is “not on that level”. Clearly doesn’t know him at all, probably searched for only 1 of his songs and made an assumption. The punchline, wordplay King, Loso. Once that guy plays Breathe, Keepin It Gangsta, My Time, Young OG, The Way(Intro), Into You, You Be Killin’ Em, Cuffin Season, From Nothin To Somethin’ album and his TINC 1,2,3, Soul Tape 1,2,3 mixtapes, he’ll finally have a brain. Fab, massively underrated. Go ask Big Sean where he stole his swag from, it was Fabolous.

5. lance says:

yea big sean sucked

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...