Dress with purpose for progress

How did you get ready this morning? For whom and for what did you prepare yourself? Is there intention in your outfit, or is it just a means to prevent public indecency?

Caring about your clothes can change your life.

Your clothes convey a message to people even before you yourself have a chance to. They are an external representation of the internal. Your outfit can tell someone that you are well put together, thoughtful, creative, fun to be around and smart. The positive self-image you can create will allow you to meet people with ease and navigate social situations with grace. First impressions are everything; make them great.

On any given day, you never know what opportunities you will have. You could meet the girl of your dreams. A casting director could see you and launch you to stardom. Dress like the person they will want to talk to.

I am not advocating overdressing. You do not have to wear a suit to go to Publix. For that, you can throw on a navy T-shirt, well-fitting and well-made sweats, and some cool sneakers and look chic enough to meet Heidi Klum in the snack aisle.

Imitation is the first step toward finding your own sense of style. Copy the looks of the fashion experts. The GQ magazine is a great place to start. Spend time on its website. Check out the writings and teachings of Glenn O’Brien. Follow well-dressed profiles on Instagram, like @nickwooster.

Having style does not need to be expensive. Websites such as jackthreads.com and frankandoak.com offer affordable alternatives to more expensive labels. Go to thrift stores. Shop sales in stores and online.

It is not effeminate to care about clothes. Frank Sinatra cared about his clothes and women did not seem to mind him. You are no longer a boy; you are a gentleman. Your clothes will demand the respect you deserve. Would Audrey Hepburn approach you with what you are wearing?

Jack Rieger is a freshman majoring in jazz studies.

Jack Rieger

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...