Dress with purpose for progress

How did you get ready this morning? For whom and for what did you prepare yourself? Is there intention in your outfit, or is it just a means to prevent public indecency?

Caring about your clothes can change your life.

Your clothes convey a message to people even before you yourself have a chance to. They are an external representation of the internal. Your outfit can tell someone that you are well put together, thoughtful, creative, fun to be around and smart. The positive self-image you can create will allow you to meet people with ease and navigate social situations with grace. First impressions are everything; make them great.

On any given day, you never know what opportunities you will have. You could meet the girl of your dreams. A casting director could see you and launch you to stardom. Dress like the person they will want to talk to.

I am not advocating overdressing. You do not have to wear a suit to go to Publix. For that, you can throw on a navy T-shirt, well-fitting and well-made sweats, and some cool sneakers and look chic enough to meet Heidi Klum in the snack aisle.

Imitation is the first step toward finding your own sense of style. Copy the looks of the fashion experts. The GQ magazine is a great place to start. Spend time on its website. Check out the writings and teachings of Glenn O’Brien. Follow well-dressed profiles on Instagram, like @nickwooster.

Having style does not need to be expensive. Websites such as jackthreads.com and frankandoak.com offer affordable alternatives to more expensive labels. Go to thrift stores. Shop sales in stores and online.

It is not effeminate to care about clothes. Frank Sinatra cared about his clothes and women did not seem to mind him. You are no longer a boy; you are a gentleman. Your clothes will demand the respect you deserve. Would Audrey Hepburn approach you with what you are wearing?

Jack Rieger is a freshman majoring in jazz studies.

Jack Rieger

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...