Featured, Football, Sports, Video

Hurricanes redshirt quarterback Kevin Olsen ‘no longer a student at UM’ after DUI arrest

Coach Al Golden expressed his disappointment in the wake of Kevin Olsen's suspension due to a DUI arrest, as he speaks to reporters on the practice field Monday morning. Alina Zerpa // Copy Editor

Coach Al Golden expressed his disappointment regarding Kevin Olsen’s suspension due to a DUI arrest, as he speaks to reporters on the practice field Monday morning. Alina Zerpa // Copy Editor

Redshirt freshman quarterback Kevin Olsen is no longer a student at the University of Miami as of Tuesday, according to the Office of Communications for Athletics.

Olsen was arrested near the Red Road Commons apartment buildings early Monday morning for driving under the influence (DUI) and possession of a stolen license.

In a press conference Tuesday, Head Coach Al Golden said that, although Olsen will not be returning to the university, this is not the end for him.

Olsen // Courtesy Hurricane Sports

Olsen // Courtesy Hurricane Sports

“He’ll come out on top,” he said. “The next step is to look forward and get on the right track and be successful. And he will.”

Golden said that he has known the Olsen family for a long time, which made the decision to remove him difficult.

“I‘ve known the Olsen family since when I got into coaching in 1995,” he said. “I’ve watched him grow up.”

Golden first announced that Olsen had been suspended indefinitely from all Miami Hurricanes football team activities at a press conference Monday.

According to the police report, Olsen was in possession of four identifications, including one from another member of the football team. He also reportedly stated, “the New Jersey and North Carolina one are good, but the Maryland one is fake.”

Olsen took a breathalyzer test and had a blood alcohol level of .04, which is above Florida’s .02 legal limit for drivers that are under 21-years-old.

This comes on the heels of Olsen’s prior suspension for the season-opening game against Louisville after failing a drug test.

Erika Glass and Aliza Zerpa contributed to this report.

Courtney Fiorini

Alina Zerpa

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...