Edge, Television

TMH’s Top Telecasts for Fall 2014

With fall right around the corner comes a flurry of promising new TV shows. The Miami Hurricane knows you’re very busy, so we’ve watched all the trailers and conducted research so you don’t have to waste time on shows that will inevitably be canceled.

“How to Get Away with Murder” Premieres 10 p.m. Sept. 25 on ABC

If you consider yourself a pop culture aficionado and don’t know the name “Shonda Rhimes,” you’re wrong. Luckily that can be remedied by watching ABC on Thursdays this fall: “Grey’s Anatomy,” “Scandal,” and the new “How to Get Away with Murder.” Much of the hype about the new show seems to come from Rhimes’s reputation as a consistent source of very successful television dramas. However, the casting of Viola Davis (“The Help”) as formidable law professor and Matt McGorry (“Orange Is The New Black”) has garnered attention for this legal thriller.

“American Horror Story: Freak Show” Airs 10 p.m. Oct. 8 on FX

The fourth season of the ever-unpredictable series tells the story of a freak show in southern Florida in 1952 – one of the last of its kind. Though not for the faint of heart, we’ll watch it because we love to be disturbed. This will be the last season with Jessica Lange, the Oscar and Emmy award-winning star who has been one of the few consistently recurring actors on the show.

“Utopia” Airs 8 p.m. Sundays on FOX

Fifteen people embark on a year-long social experiment in isolation with limited supplies and plenty of opinions while being filmed by remote-controlled cameras. The goal: create their own world. FOX has gone out on a limb with this project, which differs from other reality TV trials like “Survivor” or “Naked and Afraid,” because there is no competition. Definitely anticipate some conflict, but without a prize or host to mediate.

“A to Z” Premieres 9:30 p.m. Oct. 2 on NBC

Still missing ‘How I Met Your Mother’? We are too. Thankfully NBC’s “A to Z” looks like it has potential to fill the gap; and not just because the “Mother” (Cristin Milioti) is the star. Andrew (Ben Feldman), the hopeless romantic who works at an Internet dating site, falls for sensible lawyer Zelda. The show chronicles their meeting and their relationship from … well, you know. It’s quick-witted and charming, in a manner that hasn’t been seen since red cowboy boots were in.

“Bob’s Burgers” Airs 7:30 p.m. Oct. 5 on FOX

After winning an Emmy for “Outstanding Animated Program,” “Bob’s Burgers” returns for its fifth season on Sunday, Oct. 5, and it’s critical you watch it. The show features more puns, absurd musical numbers, extensive pop culture references and more gentle mockery of beloved tropes than you’d believe possible. Think “The Simpsons” and “Family Guy,” but smarter. Catch up on old episodes on Netflix and Hulu.

Honorable mentions: “Red Band Society” (9 p.m. Sept. 17 on FOX); “Gotham” (8 p.m. Sept. 22 on FOX), and “Black-ish” (9:30 p.m. Sept. 24.)

Kathryn Collins

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...