Soccer, Sports

Women’s soccer team scores second win against Jacksonville

Junior Jasmine Paterson scores a goal during the first half of the soccer game against Stetson College on Friday. The ‘Canes won 3-0.Amy Sargeant // Contributing Photographer

Junior Jasmine Paterson scores a goal during the first half of the soccer game against Stetson College on Friday. The ‘Canes won 3-0. Amy Sargeant // Contributing Photographer

The Hurricane soccer squad (2-4) has started building momentum after earning its second consecutive shutout Sept. 5 against Jacksonville.

Though falling in their first three outings, desirable victories against Jacksonville and Stetson gave Miami the boost they needed.

Despite losing 1-2 to Florida Atlantic (3-2-1) Sunday, the team still has some positive notes to build on, especially with sophomore Emily Auld notching her first career goal just before halftime.

Before the season started, Head Coach Mary-Frances Monroe asked her players what they wanted to improve, and they stressed that the offense needed renovation.

Despite struggles in the first four outings, the goal for goals has finally begun gaining life – the Hurricanes have now scored five in their last three skirmishes.

This offensive resurgence began in the 27th minute Friday when junior Jasmine Paterson transformed freshman Ronnie Johnson’s through-pass into a 1-0 lead.

After that, Ontario-native Ronnie Johnson added some more fire as she blazed past three defenders and launched a score from outside the 18-yard box.

The coup de grace came in the 83rd minute when freshman Ava Ambrose earned her first career goal with a rifle from the sideline.

After adding four more saves to her arsenal this weekend, senior goalie Emily Lillard has now grabbed her first two wins this season, and will look to keep up her stellar play Friday in Portland.

Danny New

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...