Soccer, Sports

Women’s soccer team scores second win against Jacksonville

Junior Jasmine Paterson scores a goal during the first half of the soccer game against Stetson College on Friday. The ‘Canes won 3-0.Amy Sargeant // Contributing Photographer

Junior Jasmine Paterson scores a goal during the first half of the soccer game against Stetson College on Friday. The ‘Canes won 3-0. Amy Sargeant // Contributing Photographer

The Hurricane soccer squad (2-4) has started building momentum after earning its second consecutive shutout Sept. 5 against Jacksonville.

Though falling in their first three outings, desirable victories against Jacksonville and Stetson gave Miami the boost they needed.

Despite losing 1-2 to Florida Atlantic (3-2-1) Sunday, the team still has some positive notes to build on, especially with sophomore Emily Auld notching her first career goal just before halftime.

Before the season started, Head Coach Mary-Frances Monroe asked her players what they wanted to improve, and they stressed that the offense needed renovation.

Despite struggles in the first four outings, the goal for goals has finally begun gaining life – the Hurricanes have now scored five in their last three skirmishes.

This offensive resurgence began in the 27th minute Friday when junior Jasmine Paterson transformed freshman Ronnie Johnson’s through-pass into a 1-0 lead.

After that, Ontario-native Ronnie Johnson added some more fire as she blazed past three defenders and launched a score from outside the 18-yard box.

The coup de grace came in the 83rd minute when freshman Ava Ambrose earned her first career goal with a rifle from the sideline.

After adding four more saves to her arsenal this weekend, senior goalie Emily Lillard has now grabbed her first two wins this season, and will look to keep up her stellar play Friday in Portland.

Danny New

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...