Baseball, Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Sports Briefs 9/8

Baseball

Walk-on tryouts for the baseball team will take place at 5 p.m. on Sept. 15 at Mark Light Field and are open to the student body.

A compliance meeting for anyone interested in trying out will take place at 3 p.m. on Sept. 10 in the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence on San Amaro Drive, adjacent to the tennis courts on campus.

Paperwork must be filled out ahead of time and can be picked up in the Compliance offices in the Schwartz Center at any time.

The Canes finished the 2014 season 44-19 overall and 24-6 in the ACC.

Lefthanded pitcher Andrew Suarez will return for the Canes in the the 2015 season as a redshirt junior. Suarez was drafted by the Washington Nationals with the 57th overall pick.  

Sugarcanes

Sugarcanes serve as bat girls and ball girls for Hurricanes Baseball during home games. They work on-field and in the dugout, help with promotions on the field and assist with other game-day responsibilities.

The group is now recruiting for the spring season. Information sessions are being held from 8 to 9 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 15 and Tuesday, Sept. 16 in the Schwartz Center Auditorium. It is located within the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence.

Attending an info session is mandatory to be able to sign up for an interview slot with Head Coach Jim Morris.

For more information, email president Suzanne Ghannam at s.ghannam@umiami.edu.

Cross country

The Hurricanes cross country team had three runners finish in the Top 10 in their races at the USF Invitational in Tampa.

AJ Ricketts placed fifth and Douglas Dourado placed seventh in the men’s 8K. Gabrielle Hesslau finished ninth in the women’s 5K. Miami’s men placed second with 50 points, while the women finished sixth with 168 points.

The Canes are preparing for the UF Mountain Dew Invitation on Sept. 20.

For more on cross country, read Lucy Hartwell’s recap at themiamihurricane.com/section/sports.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...