Sports Briefs 9/8

Baseball

Walk-on tryouts for the baseball team will take place at 5 p.m. on Sept. 15 at Mark Light Field and are open to the student body.

A compliance meeting for anyone interested in trying out will take place at 3 p.m. on Sept. 10 in the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence on San Amaro Drive, adjacent to the tennis courts on campus.

Paperwork must be filled out ahead of time and can be picked up in the Compliance offices in the Schwartz Center at any time.

The Canes finished the 2014 season 44-19 overall and 24-6 in the ACC.

Lefthanded pitcher Andrew Suarez will return for the Canes in the the 2015 season as a redshirt junior. Suarez was drafted by the Washington Nationals with the 57th overall pick.  

Sugarcanes

Sugarcanes serve as bat girls and ball girls for Hurricanes Baseball during home games. They work on-field and in the dugout, help with promotions on the field and assist with other game-day responsibilities.

The group is now recruiting for the spring season. Information sessions are being held from 8 to 9 p.m. on Monday, Sept. 15 and Tuesday, Sept. 16 in the Schwartz Center Auditorium. It is located within the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence.

Attending an info session is mandatory to be able to sign up for an interview slot with Head Coach Jim Morris.

For more information, email president Suzanne Ghannam at s.ghannam@umiami.edu.

Cross country

The Hurricanes cross country team had three runners finish in the Top 10 in their races at the USF Invitational in Tampa.

AJ Ricketts placed fifth and Douglas Dourado placed seventh in the men’s 8K. Gabrielle Hesslau finished ninth in the women’s 5K. Miami’s men placed second with 50 points, while the women finished sixth with 168 points.

The Canes are preparing for the UF Mountain Dew Invitation on Sept. 20.

For more on cross country, read Lucy Hartwell’s recap at themiamihurricane.com/section/sports.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.