News Briefs 9/3

Students celibrate a touchdown during the Rat watch party for the Hurricanes' season opener against Louisville on Saturday. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Students celibrate a touchdown during the Rat watch party for the Hurricanes’ season opener against Louisville on Saturday. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

United Way’s UPS 5K Run

The 2014 United Way campaign has launched with the goal to raise more than $1 million for the United Way of Miami-Dade and to engage participation from the University of Miami community that has been involved for over forty years. One of the first campus events planned if the UPS 5K Run being held at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday at the Coral Gables City Hall. Registration is $30. For more information, email unitedway@miami.edu.

LoweDown Happy Hour

Join the Lowe Art Museum from 7 to 9 p.m. on Thursday for the LoweDown Happy Hour, which will feature treats, Nestle coffee and a social crowd of students, faculty and the community. Thursday’s gallery tour theme will be “China’s Last Empire: The Art and Culture of the Qing Dynasty.”

Master of Fine Arts Exhibition

The Department of Art and Art History in the College of Arts & Sciences (CAS) will be celebrating the opening of an exhibition featuring the work of incoming Master of Fine Arts (MFA) graduate students with a reception from 5 to 8 p.m. on Friday in the CAS Gallery. The reception will welcome the artists, specializing in sculpture, printmaking and painting. The event is free and open to the public.

CASE Educational Fundraising Award

The Council for Advancement and Support of Education has honored the University of Miami with a 2014 CASE Educational Fundraising Award in recognition of its fundraising programs. The selection was part of an Overall Performance Award in the private research institution category, and took into consideration UM’s program and growth of the base of support. UM’s Momentum2 Campaign which was started in 2008, has raised $1.3 billion from more than 140,000 contributors.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...