News Briefs 9/3

Students celibrate a touchdown during the Rat watch party for the Hurricanes' season opener against Louisville on Saturday. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Students celibrate a touchdown during the Rat watch party for the Hurricanes’ season opener against Louisville on Saturday. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

United Way’s UPS 5K Run

The 2014 United Way campaign has launched with the goal to raise more than $1 million for the United Way of Miami-Dade and to engage participation from the University of Miami community that has been involved for over forty years. One of the first campus events planned if the UPS 5K Run being held at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday at the Coral Gables City Hall. Registration is $30. For more information, email unitedway@miami.edu.

LoweDown Happy Hour

Join the Lowe Art Museum from 7 to 9 p.m. on Thursday for the LoweDown Happy Hour, which will feature treats, Nestle coffee and a social crowd of students, faculty and the community. Thursday’s gallery tour theme will be “China’s Last Empire: The Art and Culture of the Qing Dynasty.”

Master of Fine Arts Exhibition

The Department of Art and Art History in the College of Arts & Sciences (CAS) will be celebrating the opening of an exhibition featuring the work of incoming Master of Fine Arts (MFA) graduate students with a reception from 5 to 8 p.m. on Friday in the CAS Gallery. The reception will welcome the artists, specializing in sculpture, printmaking and painting. The event is free and open to the public.

CASE Educational Fundraising Award

The Council for Advancement and Support of Education has honored the University of Miami with a 2014 CASE Educational Fundraising Award in recognition of its fundraising programs. The selection was part of an Overall Performance Award in the private research institution category, and took into consideration UM’s program and growth of the base of support. UM’s Momentum2 Campaign which was started in 2008, has raised $1.3 billion from more than 140,000 contributors.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

About Author

Emily Dabau

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...

Here's a daily look at what is taking place at Greentree ...

Miami tied for the most hits No. 8 North Carolina has allowed all season, but fell to the host Tar H ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...