News Briefs 9/3

Students celibrate a touchdown during the Rat watch party for the Hurricanes' season opener against Louisville on Saturday. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Students celibrate a touchdown during the Rat watch party for the Hurricanes’ season opener against Louisville on Saturday. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

United Way’s UPS 5K Run

The 2014 United Way campaign has launched with the goal to raise more than $1 million for the United Way of Miami-Dade and to engage participation from the University of Miami community that has been involved for over forty years. One of the first campus events planned if the UPS 5K Run being held at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday at the Coral Gables City Hall. Registration is $30. For more information, email unitedway@miami.edu.

LoweDown Happy Hour

Join the Lowe Art Museum from 7 to 9 p.m. on Thursday for the LoweDown Happy Hour, which will feature treats, Nestle coffee and a social crowd of students, faculty and the community. Thursday’s gallery tour theme will be “China’s Last Empire: The Art and Culture of the Qing Dynasty.”

Master of Fine Arts Exhibition

The Department of Art and Art History in the College of Arts & Sciences (CAS) will be celebrating the opening of an exhibition featuring the work of incoming Master of Fine Arts (MFA) graduate students with a reception from 5 to 8 p.m. on Friday in the CAS Gallery. The reception will welcome the artists, specializing in sculpture, printmaking and painting. The event is free and open to the public.

CASE Educational Fundraising Award

The Council for Advancement and Support of Education has honored the University of Miami with a 2014 CASE Educational Fundraising Award in recognition of its fundraising programs. The selection was part of an Overall Performance Award in the private research institution category, and took into consideration UM’s program and growth of the base of support. UM’s Momentum2 Campaign which was started in 2008, has raised $1.3 billion from more than 140,000 contributors.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com.

Emily Dabau

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team had a 13-stroke improvement on Day 2 at ...