Football, Sports

Canes season sours with Louisville loss

The Hurricanes started the 2014 season the same way they ended last season, with a loss to Louisville.

In a battle reminiscent of last years’ Russell Athletic Bowl, the Louisville Cardinals defeated the Canes 31-13 Monday night at Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium in Louisville, Kentucky. For Louisville, the game was its first conference win as a new member of the ACC.

Freshman quarterback Brad Kaaya completed 17 of 29 passes for 174 yards for one touchdown and two interceptions. Running back Duke Johnson made his return from injury averaging 4.5 yards. Johnson had 20 attempts for 90 yards and no touchdowns.

For Louisville, redshirt sophomore quarterback Will Gardner went 20 of 28 for 206 yards and two touchdowns. Louisville’s top rusher for the game, Dominique Brown, had one touchdown and 143 yards.

In the first quarter, Louisville scored on their second drive with an impressive 12-plays for 93 yards. Miami fired back with a six-play drive for 38 yards. Kaaya completed a two-yard touchdown pass to Clive Walford, tying up the score at seven with 14:21 to go in the first half.

The Canes took the lead when Matt Goudis made a 24-yard field goal. Fourteen seconds later, Louisville took the lead and never gave it back. The Cardinals’ Corvin Lamb returned Justin Vogel’s punt 97 yards for a touchdown. The Cardinals lead the Canes 14-10 at halftime.

Louisville dominated the second half while the Canes defense suffered. The Hurricanes gave up two touchdowns and a field goal to finish the game. Canes linebacker Denzel Perryman showed promise for the defense, delivering crushing hits. Perryman and Johnson are players to watch moving forward.

Miami will be looking for their first win of the season against Florida A&M at 7 p.m. on Sept. 6 at home.

Courtney Fiorini

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team came up short against No. 34 Duke University, 4-1, Th ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis win over Boston College. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team were both among the ni ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team is set to open ACC Championship play Friday afterno ...

Miami Hurricanes tight end David Njoku was selected with the 29th overall pick by the Cleveland Brow ...