Football, Sports

Canes season sours with Louisville loss

The Hurricanes started the 2014 season the same way they ended last season, with a loss to Louisville.

In a battle reminiscent of last years’ Russell Athletic Bowl, the Louisville Cardinals defeated the Canes 31-13 Monday night at Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium in Louisville, Kentucky. For Louisville, the game was its first conference win as a new member of the ACC.

Freshman quarterback Brad Kaaya completed 17 of 29 passes for 174 yards for one touchdown and two interceptions. Running back Duke Johnson made his return from injury averaging 4.5 yards. Johnson had 20 attempts for 90 yards and no touchdowns.

For Louisville, redshirt sophomore quarterback Will Gardner went 20 of 28 for 206 yards and two touchdowns. Louisville’s top rusher for the game, Dominique Brown, had one touchdown and 143 yards.

In the first quarter, Louisville scored on their second drive with an impressive 12-plays for 93 yards. Miami fired back with a six-play drive for 38 yards. Kaaya completed a two-yard touchdown pass to Clive Walford, tying up the score at seven with 14:21 to go in the first half.

The Canes took the lead when Matt Goudis made a 24-yard field goal. Fourteen seconds later, Louisville took the lead and never gave it back. The Cardinals’ Corvin Lamb returned Justin Vogel’s punt 97 yards for a touchdown. The Cardinals lead the Canes 14-10 at halftime.

Louisville dominated the second half while the Canes defense suffered. The Hurricanes gave up two touchdowns and a field goal to finish the game. Canes linebacker Denzel Perryman showed promise for the defense, delivering crushing hits. Perryman and Johnson are players to watch moving forward.

Miami will be looking for their first win of the season against Florida A&M at 7 p.m. on Sept. 6 at home.

About Author

Courtney Fiorini

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

Just one glance at Brad Kaaya throwing passes Tuesday after the University of Miami’s first spring f ...

Yes, the Hurricanes’ uncertainty at quarterback has created some uneasiness, as Mark Richt told me r ...

Senior guards Adrienne Motley and Jessica Thomas sat slumped over on the Watsco Center floor late Mo ...

Spring has sprung for the University of Miami football program. Practice, closed to the public, had ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

UM physicist studies the unexpected consequences of sub-second delays on fast-moving data systems ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...

The No. 37 Miami women's tennis team will head north to take on Boston College Friday at 1 p.m. ...

Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the dates for the 2 ...

Briadam Herrera picked up the third All-America honor of his career Thursday with a fifth-place fini ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame will hold the 49th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Tu ...