Football, Sports

Canes season sours with Louisville loss

The Hurricanes started the 2014 season the same way they ended last season, with a loss to Louisville.

In a battle reminiscent of last years’ Russell Athletic Bowl, the Louisville Cardinals defeated the Canes 31-13 Monday night at Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium in Louisville, Kentucky. For Louisville, the game was its first conference win as a new member of the ACC.

Freshman quarterback Brad Kaaya completed 17 of 29 passes for 174 yards for one touchdown and two interceptions. Running back Duke Johnson made his return from injury averaging 4.5 yards. Johnson had 20 attempts for 90 yards and no touchdowns.

For Louisville, redshirt sophomore quarterback Will Gardner went 20 of 28 for 206 yards and two touchdowns. Louisville’s top rusher for the game, Dominique Brown, had one touchdown and 143 yards.

In the first quarter, Louisville scored on their second drive with an impressive 12-plays for 93 yards. Miami fired back with a six-play drive for 38 yards. Kaaya completed a two-yard touchdown pass to Clive Walford, tying up the score at seven with 14:21 to go in the first half.

The Canes took the lead when Matt Goudis made a 24-yard field goal. Fourteen seconds later, Louisville took the lead and never gave it back. The Cardinals’ Corvin Lamb returned Justin Vogel’s punt 97 yards for a touchdown. The Cardinals lead the Canes 14-10 at halftime.

Louisville dominated the second half while the Canes defense suffered. The Hurricanes gave up two touchdowns and a field goal to finish the game. Canes linebacker Denzel Perryman showed promise for the defense, delivering crushing hits. Perryman and Johnson are players to watch moving forward.

Miami will be looking for their first win of the season against Florida A&M at 7 p.m. on Sept. 6 at home.

Courtney Fiorini

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...