Administration, News

Wellness Center executive director lands in Miami

Photo Courtesy everitas

Photo Courtesy everitas

The first order of business for the Wellness Center’s new director, Scott Levin, is to become familiar with the University of Miami’s culture.

“I’m still learning how to do the U,” said Levin, who previously served as the Director of Recreational Services in Georgia State University starting in 2000. There, he opened a $33 million Student Recreation Center.

During his time at Georgia State, Levin received the George M. Sparks Award, an annual award that recognizes one student, faculty, and staff member from the university who exemplifies a willingness to go the extra mile with good humor and perseverance.

Prior to his position at George State, he worked at Bowling Green State University in Ohio for 15 years in various recreation positions.

Now, Levin has come down to bring his perseverance to UM. Though he’s new to the school, Levin is no stranger to the area.

“As a kid, my parents used to go to Miami Beach and vacation,” he said. “Now I just feel like one of the freshmen students during orientation.”

Besides having traveled to Miami, Georgia and Ohio, Levin was born in Albuquerque, New Mexico and also lived in Los Angeles when he was seven years old. 

Later, he moved to Illinois to complete his undergraduate career at Southern Illinois University, Carbondale.

In college, Levin discovered his passion for fitness and sports, especially golf, running marathons, cycling and skiing.

“About mid-way through my undergrad experience, they built a new recreation center and I spent a lot of time there,”  Levin said. “After college, I worked in unrelated areas of sale and then decided to go back to grad school for sports administration.”

Levin is looking forward to the opportunity to expand his experience working at a university, as this is his third collegiate position.

“My goal initially is to get to know the staff, understand how the U operates and some of the culture and the traditions, which is very strong,” Levin said. “I don’t see myself making any major changes yet, but just offer experience and advice.”

Patricia Whitely, vice president for student affairs, believes Levin will bring outstanding leadership in campus recreation and wellness to Miami.

“Scott is both a collaborative and innovative leader,” she said. “I am confident that his expertise and transformative ideas will enhance the wellness experience for all at the University of Miami.”

Levin acknowledges that “there is no excuse not to use [the Wellness Center]” because students pay “a fee, and we’re here for you to use it.”

Students who work at the Wellness Center sense that Levin will continue the positive legacy of the Wellness Center.

“I think he’s going to succeed just as Norm Parsons did,” said Ainara Gastaminsa, a sophomore who works the front desk at the Wellness Center. “He has great experience, and I’m excited to see what he brings to the table.”

Junior Tony Canero, an office supervisor, knew Levin was what the university was looking for in an executive director the first time they were introduced.

“He was friendly, approachable and professional,” Canero said. “What I loved most about him was his determination at his past institutions and his calm personality.”

With his past experience, Levin hopes to continue making the Wellness Center as popular as it is and promoting its facilities to members of UM’s community.

Alina Zerpa

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...