News Briefs 8/27

A member of Coral Gables United Church of Chirst walks with members of his congregation down Ocean Drive in South Beach during the 5th annual Pride Parade held in April 2012. File Photo

ORIENTATION OUTREACH

The Butler Center for Volunteer Service and Leadership Development will be hosting Orientation Outreach from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday at the Rock. Students are invited to participate in community service throughout Miami. Volunteering will take place at various non-profit organizations throughout the area. It is recommended to wear comfortable clothes, close-toed shoes, a pair of pants and a long-sleeve shirt. Breakfast, lunch and a volunteer T-shirt will be provided. For more information, call 305-284-4483.

CITY BEAUTIFUL AWARDS

The Coral Gables Chamber of Commerce awarded two of its annual City Beautiful Awards, which recognize the beauty and charm of architectural achievement, to the University of Miami. The Student Activities Center (SAC) was honored with the Outstanding Exterior Award, and the Toppel Career Center was chosen to receive the Outstanding Restoration Award.

UPRIDE COMPROMISES ON NAME

After changing its name and hosting a meeting on Sunday to discuss the change, UPride announced two initiatives developed to reincorporate the name SpectrUM into the group. The suggestions include combining UPride and SpectrUM with a tagline, such as “UPride: Embracing the Spectrum” or to rename the “Support Group” to “SpectrUM.” These compromises aim to stay committed to the core aspects of the organization while still evolving.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com. 

Emily Dabau

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team came up short against No. 34 Duke University, 4-1, Th ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis win over Boston College. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team were both among the ni ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team is set to open ACC Championship play Friday afterno ...

Miami Hurricanes tight end David Njoku was selected with the 29th overall pick by the Cleveland Brow ...