Winkelsas wins support

Senior Audrey Winkelsas, whose 24-hour attendant care was cut off when she turned 21 in October, has had this Medicaid benefit restored.

Winkelsas has spinal muscular atrophy, a form of muscular dystrophy, and needs around-the-clock care to attend school. During spring 2014, she created a change.org petition that garnered about 7,570 signatures to help raise awareness.

SEE ALSO: Junior combats clause that limits access to care

She announced on the site Sunday that her care was reinstated.

“Last week, I received the news that I will be receiving 24/7 care for the 2014-2015 academic year that will enable me to complete my undergraduate degree,” she posted on the change.org site.

According to Florida’s Medicaid provider handbook, necessary services like 24-hour care are suspended after a person turns 21. Last spring, Winkelsas’s mother, Keely Winkelsas, stayed in Miami to ensure that her daughter could finish her studies.

SEE ALSO: Online petition fosters support

During her first two years at UM, four different attendants, who worked 12-hour shifts at a time on different days of the week, looked after Winkelsas as she completed her studies.

Winkelsas is studying biochemistry in the hopes of finding a cure for spinal muscular atrophy, the condition she was diagnosed with when she was seven months old.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...