Athletics, Basketball, Featured, Sports

Team sweeps Spanish campaign

Courtesy Hurricane Sports

Courtesy Hurricane Sports

The Miami Hurricanes concluded a 10-day excursion in Spain with a perfect 4-0 record following a 116-64 win over AEC Collblanc Torrassa Thursday.

The Canes arrived in Madrid on Aug. 13. They spent the first three days touring the city, visiting Toledo, and attending a UM alumni event at the Hotel Emperador on their first night.

The team started off their campaign against Eurocolegio Casvi. Junior Sheldon McClellan and freshman Ja’Quan Newton led all scorers with 17 points each, while Madrid native Ivan Cruz Uceda also filled up the Canes stat sheet with 17 rebounds and two steals to propel the Canes to a 79-68 victory.

The Canes played their second game of the four-game long campaign against Albacete Baloncesto. UM pulled off a crucial victory with another stellar performance by McClellan, who notched 24 points and five steals. McClellan drained a couple of timely 3-pointers and a dunk to seal a 77-66 victory for the Canes.

Uceda also dominated on the boards with 13 rebounds in the game.

UM started off back-to-back games against CB Quart in Banyoles. McClellan led all scorers with 16 points, Deandre Burnett added 15 points while Davon Reed and Ja’Quan Newton contributed 13 apiece to lift the Canes to a 86-64 victory.

They wrapped up the four-game sweep against AEC Collblanc Torrassa Thursday. Deandre Burnett and McClellan both racked up a team-high 23 points respectively, closely followed by 22 from Ja’Quan Newton.

Between games, the players had opportunities to sight-see. Many of the players relished the sights and monuments of the cities they visited.

“I like the history behind the art in cathedrals – I study religions and philosophies in my free time,” sophomore Mike Fernandez said about the Catedral Primada Santa Maria de Toldeo. “The fact that everything was built and created by hand is fascinating.”

The Canes will start their season off with an exhibition match against Eckerd College on Nov. 6.

This year’s team will feature nine new players on the court after five seniors graduated from the program.

Mason Liu

Friday’s NFL drought became Saturday’s downpour for the University of Miami. Eight Miami Hurricanes ...

Cornerback Corn Elder’s career highlight is a play that will forever be ingrained in college footbal ...

Safety Rayshawn Jenkins is now a Los Angeles Charger. Jenkins, who grew up in St. Petersburg, became ...

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Have a look at approximately 60 of the best pictures from the Miami women's tennis team match v ...

The University of Miami football program had nine former players selected in the 2017 NFL Draft in P ...

Miami Hurricanes fullback Marquez Williams was selected with the 240th overall pick by the Jacksonvi ...

Miami Hurricanes cornerback Adrian Colbert was selected with the 229th overall pick by the San Franc ...

Miami Hurricanes wide receiver Stacy Coley was selected with the 219th overall pick by the Minnesota ...