Featured, LGBT, News, Student Organization

SpectrUM becomes UPride, raises red flag

The president of UPride, formerly known as SpectrUM, explains the Eboard’s reasoning behind the organizations name change during a town hall meeting held on Sunday afternoon. Nick Gangemi // Photo Editor

After almost a decade, UM’s LGBTQ student organization, formerly known as SpectrUM, changed its name to UPride. This decision was met with mixed response from some of the club’s members and alumni, prompting the club’s executive board (e-board) to organize a town hall meeting Sunday afternoon.

UPride was founded in 1992 under the name GLBC (Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Club), making this the second rebranding action the club has undergone. UPride President Jacob Rudolph announced the name change in a memorandum sent to the UM community in early August.

This memorandum ignited the controversy that led to Sunday’s meeting. Although current members and alumni were able to express their differing opinions, the e-board ultimately decided to keep the name UPride.

“It is time to live our lives in the light,” said Fiona Collins, UPride Secretary, prior to the town hall meeting. “While we will still act as an important resource for those who are not able or ready to be out, it is also important for us to move into the 21st century and embrace the great wave of change and support that has characterized the LGBT movement in recent years.”

Much of the dissatisfaction came from the way the e-board chose the name and what the name represents. At the meeting, the club’s e-board acknowledged the fault in their decision-making process, which Rudolph described as “authority without discussion.”

Some of the people who attended the meeting wished to remain anonymous, as part of the club’s mission is to provide a safe space for its members.

Alumna Christina Robinson, who attended the discussion, publicly shared her concerns before the meeting. She argued against the name change because she believes that changing the organization’s name would “alienate those past members who felt personally connected to the name SpectrUM.”

Robinson also said that the rebranding of the club would isolate a large group of students that are not at ease with the idea of pride or “prospective members who are not yet comfortable being ‘out’,” as was her case when she first came to UM.

Fellow alumnus Daniel Nyson was also dissatisfied with the decision.

“In short, the allegedly unanimous E-board decision to change the name without the consultation of the entire group, serves as an example of mass political corruption, ostracizing many of SpectrUM’s own members, and serves as a great disservice to the UM LGBT community at large, taking us backwards into conformity instead of forwards toward individuality,” he said prior to the meeting.

The club’s former vice president Tori MacDonell addressed another problem with the name change – it excludes members of the LGBTQ community.

“Pride events have historically, as well as recently, excluded the transgender and asexual communities, among others,” MacDonell said, after the meeting. “The statement that the board appears to be making is that these groups don’t matter to them. We are minorities within this minority group and we are not being acknowledged even as we are speaking out now.” 

Others felt the name change didn’t impact the club’s mission.

“Names don’t define people, people define names,” Collins said, during the meeting.

UPride is open to revisiting this issue again in the future. Rudolph acknowledged that “compromise is feasible.”

Sophie Barros

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...