News briefs 8/25

Club Sports Expo

All 46 active clubs will be showcased at the Herbert Wellness Center and Intramural Fields from 6 to 8 p.m. on Monday. Students are welcome to walk around the building and outside to learn more about participating club sports and learn how to join or get more involved.

We Bleed Orange & Green

University of Miami’s Department of Athletics is hosting an open house from 6 to 7 p.m. on Friday at the Knight Sports Complex. The event will give new students an up-close look at UM athletics as well as a chance to interact with current UM student-athletes. There will be pizza and prizes followed by the soccer game at 7 p.m.

Canes After Dark

Canes Night Live  will be taking over the Student Activities Center from 8 p.m. to 12 a.m. on Friday with Canes After Dark. The event will feature a luau theme to kick off the new year. There will be sand art, lei making, Pollo Tropical, smoothies, headband weaving, hui aloha dance performances and a photo booth.

Orientation Outreach

The Butler Center for Volunteer Service and Leadership Development will be hosting Orientation Outreach from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday. Students are invited to participate in community service throughout the city of Miami. Volunteering will take place at various non-profit organizations throughout the area. It is recommended to wear comfortable clothes and close-toed shoes; bring a pair of pants and long-sleeve shirt as well. Breakfast, lunch and a volunteer T-shirt will be provided. Volunteers will meet at the Rock. For more information, call 305-284-4483.

Emily Dabau may be emailed at edabau@themiamihurricane.com. 

Emily Dabau

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...