Edge, Fashion

Top local thrift shops for popping tags

With the semester winding down, students are starting to save up for summer, which can be a conundrum for the Miami girl who wants to look her best for the end of the school year.

Often, students overlook thrift and consignment shopping, instead favoring the glittering shops of Sunset Place and Lincoln Road. However, when done right, thrift shopping can turn up classic pieces at much cheaper prices. As we head closer to summer, this is an option smart shoppers should definitely consider.

Luckily, there is no shortage of thrift shops and consignment stores near campus. The Miami Hurricane has compiled a list of the most high-end affordable stores perfect for finding some funky threads to show off this summer.

Second Time Around 

Located right near the Shops at Sunset Place, this secondhand store is small, but known to carry great items for anyone who has the time to dig through. You’ll actually find some pieces that were in style only a season ago. The prices are very affordable, so this is a great place to stop by if you’re looking to do a big shopping trip. The clerks are friendly and willing to help you find any specific item you may need, making this a worthwhile stop at the start of your trip.

Second Time Around is located at 5770 Sunset Drive, Miami, Fla. 

The Fashionista Consignment Boutique

This high-end consignment store is located right in Coconut Grove and only sells designer apparel. Although it is a bit more expensive than some other secondhand shops, it is known for the quality of each and every piece.  The store itself boasts an elegant atmosphere that always creates an enjoyable shopping experience.  The Fashionista is most famous for its large collection of designer purses that appear brand new. This is definitely an important stop for any girl looking to add a few quality pieces to her closet.

The Fashionista Consignment Boutique is located at 3135 Commodore Plaza #101, Miami, Fla.

Consign of the Times

This large collection is known throughout South Miami as a true secondhand designer clothing shop.  With upscale decor and 100 percent designer apparel, it’s hard to go wrong.  Consign of the Times even has an online site where you can purchase clothing to be shipped to you. Although this consignment store is very expensive, it may be worth a stop to find that one item that you’ll use forever.

Consign of the Times is located at 6931 Red Road, Miami, Fla. 

Las Tias

Located off South Dixie Highway in South Miami, Las Tias is a bit more vintage/thrift rather than designer, but it offers more options, and sells some interesting pieces that are less generic. The store has also been known to stock Lilly Pulitzer’s last season dresses on occasion.

The merchants are friendly, able to help you find specific items and willing to negotiate prices, which are often inexpensive anyway. Although the store is not packed with designer material, the classic pieces that you do find will be much cheaper and can be just as appealing. Las Tias is a perfect place for the girl who likes a mix of classic, trendy and vintage items.

Las Tias is located at 2638 SW 28th Lane, Miami, Fla.

Alexandra DiBacco

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...