News, Profiles

Senior spends summer with Major League Baseball

Although she never hit a home run in her life, baseball brought senior Alexandria Rogers to the Dominican Republic (DR) last summer.

She didn’t play the sport, but worked in the Caribbean nation as an intern with the Major League Baseball offices for 10 weeks. The Atlanta native found a way to combine her love for sports and her knowledge of Spanish in her position as an education initiative and community outreach assistant in the capital city of Santo Domingo.

“No matter where I went throughout the island, I always remembered the people I came in contact with, how nice they were, how open and willing they were to talk,” Rogers said. “In DR, I never came in contact with a person that did not make me feel welcomed and comfortable.”

Her experience may directly affect her future. She is applying for jobs and additional internships in the sports industry after graduation, including with ESPN’s Wide World of Sports in Orlando and the Houston Texans.

“The opportunity to work for Major League Baseball is incredible,” said Paul Resnick, internship director for the sports administration program in the School of Education.

Rogers first learned about the for-credit internship through a program at the Toppel Career Center. She was placed in the MLB Dominican Republic offices through InteRDom, an international exchange program that coordinates field appropriate internships in the DR.

According to education professor Tywan Martin, Rogers got firsthand experience in the MLB facilities.

“She got to see what they’re doing abroad,” Martin said. “The facilities down there, they’re amazing. I had no idea.”

On MLB opening day in 2013, 28.2 percent of players were born outside of the U.S., with 89 of the total 856 players born in the DR.

MLB provides opportunities for team scouts to recruit Dominican and Latin American talent through clinics, showcases, and academies. The academies, mostly located in DR, are where Rogers did her work, and they prepare Latin American players for professional careers. They provide English language courses and community service projects, among other opportunities in their education-based programs.

“It was also very eye opening seeing [the poorer]parts of the country, helping people in need, learning more about the education system and the importance of it in the academies and just Dominican culture in general,” Rogers said.

The academies provide crucial education for the Latin American players hoping to be recruited by American teams. MLB spends a lot of money in the DR on these programs because it’s a matter of economics, according to Martin.

“For the cost it would take you to develop American talent, you can take that money and shift it [down there],” Martin said. “For the one person here, you could easily develop five to 10 in the DR.”

Rogers’ second major in Spanish has proven invaluable for entrance into the tough industry. She noted that one of the problems in the industry is the lack of international perspective and understanding of Dominican people.

“You always need somebody who understands another perspective in the industry, because it’s a big industry, but a lot of people don’t have that international work experience where they can understand why oh this Dominican player did this,” Rogers said.

The industry is already rife with misunderstanding about the Spanish-speaking population, according to Martin.

“One of the biggest things, the biggest misnomers for some of these leagues, even at the NFL, is that they lump the Spanish-speaking groups together,” Martin said. They’ll lump the Mexican community together with the Puerto Rican community. They think Mariachi music can apply to everything. It does not.”

Rogers believes the DR program is important to the future of the baseball industry.

“It’s kind of a necessity,” she said. “You have to learn where most of the people in the industry come from in order to know who they are.”

When Rogers returned to campus last fall, she presented to both Martin and Resnick’s classes about her experiences abroad.

“What was cool – I don’t know if students took this away from it – to see the amount of money that the MLB organizations have put into the DR and that community,” Martin said. “Because there’s a lot of really, really good athletes, and this is their way of cultivating relationships with the talent that’s down there.”

Just as in many other industries, internships during college are necessary for students studying sports administration.

“It’s the most critical element in the degree,” Resnick said. “Without internships in this program, it’ll be impossible to land something [after graduation].”

At the end of the summer, Rogers said she did not want to end her first trip to the DR.

“I did not want to leave the place that took care of me and I called home for the past three months,” she said. “I did not want to leave the people I had met at work and outside of work. … I did not want to leave the sense of calm, peace, contentment I felt there and return to the U.S. where everybody is always worried about everything.”

Monica Herndon

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

On a day when the newest University of Miami football players – including heralded prep quarterback ...

How much does 44 years of history weigh? That is what these Miami Hurricanes baseball players carry ...

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team was unable to crack the top eight in th ...

Miami junior Jeb Bargfeldt was among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference with All-ACC ...

Check out photos from the Hurricanes during Day 2 competition at the NCAA Championship. ...

The University of Miami women's track and field team enters the NCAA East Preliminary ranked No ...

After sweeping its final regular season series with Virginia Tech, No. 6 seeded Miami will open its ...