Pursue passions for finer friends

I’m horrible at eloquent goodbyes, but I’m great at making points. So if I have a whole column to ramble, let it be to make a point: If there’s one thing I’ve taken away from college, it’s that passions bring people together.

Freshman year, I struggled. I had come from a tiny, geeky high school, and I couldn’t seem to connect with anyone I met in the dorms or my classes. But then I found my way into The Miami Hurricane newsroom at the end of the year, and everything changed.

I’ve always joked that this job stole my soul. Late nights and Sunday deadlines were brutal – there’s no denying it. But The Hurricane has also given me my entire college experience. I learned to lead, edit, write and apply for a job, all with this staff. We took trips, went to happy hours and fought like siblings.

And at the end of the day, they are the ones who have taught me the most over the past four years. I don’t think I believed it until now, but you really can learn the most from your peers.

Devote yourself to something, or many things. Do it not because it will look good on a resume, but because your life would be less full without it.

So that is my advice to anyone who is struggling – find what you love, and friends will follow. Strive for that, because at the end of the day, when it’s only you and your thoughts, the things you did and the people you loved are what you carry with you forever.

Margaux Herrera is a senior majoring in English literature and French. After graduation, she will work in marketing and public relations for Skyscanner in Miami.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...