Pursue passions for finer friends

I’m horrible at eloquent goodbyes, but I’m great at making points. So if I have a whole column to ramble, let it be to make a point: If there’s one thing I’ve taken away from college, it’s that passions bring people together.

Freshman year, I struggled. I had come from a tiny, geeky high school, and I couldn’t seem to connect with anyone I met in the dorms or my classes. But then I found my way into The Miami Hurricane newsroom at the end of the year, and everything changed.

I’ve always joked that this job stole my soul. Late nights and Sunday deadlines were brutal – there’s no denying it. But The Hurricane has also given me my entire college experience. I learned to lead, edit, write and apply for a job, all with this staff. We took trips, went to happy hours and fought like siblings.

And at the end of the day, they are the ones who have taught me the most over the past four years. I don’t think I believed it until now, but you really can learn the most from your peers.

Devote yourself to something, or many things. Do it not because it will look good on a resume, but because your life would be less full without it.

So that is my advice to anyone who is struggling – find what you love, and friends will follow. Strive for that, because at the end of the day, when it’s only you and your thoughts, the things you did and the people you loved are what you carry with you forever.

Margaux Herrera is a senior majoring in English literature and French. After graduation, she will work in marketing and public relations for Skyscanner in Miami.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

University of Miami diver Briadam Herrera collected a 1-meter national title at the Greensboro Aquat ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...