News Briefs 4/24

Commencement

Undergraduate students will participate in commencement May 9 in the BankUnited Center. College of Arts and Sciences students will begin to process at 8:30 a.m. 

School of Architecture, School of Communication, School of Education, RSMAS, Frost School of Music and School of Nursing and Health Studies will process at 12:30 p.m. The School of Business Administration and College of Engineering’s ceremony will begin at 5 p.m. Students can pick up their caps and gowns from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. May 6 to May 8 at the Toppel Career Center.

May 8

Shelton G. “Shelly” Berg, dean of UM’s Frost School of Music, will be delivering the commencement remarks at the Graduate Degree Ceremony at 4 p.m.

May 9

Danielle S. Allen, a political theorist who has published broadly in democratic theory and political sociology, will give advice to graduates and receive an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters at the ceremony for the College of Arts and Sciences at 8:30 a.m.

Sylvia Earle, National Geographic Explorer-In-Residence and marine biologist, will address students and receive an honorary Doctor of Science at the ceremony for the Schools of Architecture, Communication, Education and Human Development, Music, and Nursing and Health Studies and RSMAS will take place at 12:30 p.m. 

Charles E. “Chuck” Cobb, longtime UM trustee, will address the graduates at the 5 p.m. ceremony for the School of Business and College of Engineering. Cobb was a former chair of UM’s Board of Trustees and served as the assistant secretary and undersecretary of the U.S. Department of Commerce. He also served as the U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Iceland.

May 10

The School of Law and Miller School of Medicine will hold their commencement at 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., respectively. U.S. Secretary of Labor Thomas E. Perez will give the commencement address.

A Cappella Concert

Student a cappella groups Above the Keys, BisCaydence and Tufaan will be performing in a joint concert at 8 p.m. Sunday in Storer Auditorium. This performance will be the first time the three groups host a concert together.  

Photo courtesy of UM Office of Commencement

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...