News Briefs 4/24

Commencement

Undergraduate students will participate in commencement May 9 in the BankUnited Center. College of Arts and Sciences students will begin to process at 8:30 a.m. 

School of Architecture, School of Communication, School of Education, RSMAS, Frost School of Music and School of Nursing and Health Studies will process at 12:30 p.m. The School of Business Administration and College of Engineering’s ceremony will begin at 5 p.m. Students can pick up their caps and gowns from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. May 6 to May 8 at the Toppel Career Center.

May 8

Shelton G. “Shelly” Berg, dean of UM’s Frost School of Music, will be delivering the commencement remarks at the Graduate Degree Ceremony at 4 p.m.

May 9

Danielle S. Allen, a political theorist who has published broadly in democratic theory and political sociology, will give advice to graduates and receive an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters at the ceremony for the College of Arts and Sciences at 8:30 a.m.

Sylvia Earle, National Geographic Explorer-In-Residence and marine biologist, will address students and receive an honorary Doctor of Science at the ceremony for the Schools of Architecture, Communication, Education and Human Development, Music, and Nursing and Health Studies and RSMAS will take place at 12:30 p.m. 

Charles E. “Chuck” Cobb, longtime UM trustee, will address the graduates at the 5 p.m. ceremony for the School of Business and College of Engineering. Cobb was a former chair of UM’s Board of Trustees and served as the assistant secretary and undersecretary of the U.S. Department of Commerce. He also served as the U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Iceland.

May 10

The School of Law and Miller School of Medicine will hold their commencement at 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., respectively. U.S. Secretary of Labor Thomas E. Perez will give the commencement address.

A Cappella Concert

Student a cappella groups Above the Keys, BisCaydence and Tufaan will be performing in a joint concert at 8 p.m. Sunday in Storer Auditorium. This performance will be the first time the three groups host a concert together.  

Photo courtesy of UM Office of Commencement

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

About Author

Ashley Martinez Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...

Here's a daily look at what is taking place at Greentree ...

Miami tied for the most hits No. 8 North Carolina has allowed all season, but fell to the host Tar H ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...