News Briefs 4/24

Commencement

Undergraduate students will participate in commencement May 9 in the BankUnited Center. College of Arts and Sciences students will begin to process at 8:30 a.m. 

School of Architecture, School of Communication, School of Education, RSMAS, Frost School of Music and School of Nursing and Health Studies will process at 12:30 p.m. The School of Business Administration and College of Engineering’s ceremony will begin at 5 p.m. Students can pick up their caps and gowns from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. May 6 to May 8 at the Toppel Career Center.

May 8

Shelton G. “Shelly” Berg, dean of UM’s Frost School of Music, will be delivering the commencement remarks at the Graduate Degree Ceremony at 4 p.m.

May 9

Danielle S. Allen, a political theorist who has published broadly in democratic theory and political sociology, will give advice to graduates and receive an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters at the ceremony for the College of Arts and Sciences at 8:30 a.m.

Sylvia Earle, National Geographic Explorer-In-Residence and marine biologist, will address students and receive an honorary Doctor of Science at the ceremony for the Schools of Architecture, Communication, Education and Human Development, Music, and Nursing and Health Studies and RSMAS will take place at 12:30 p.m. 

Charles E. “Chuck” Cobb, longtime UM trustee, will address the graduates at the 5 p.m. ceremony for the School of Business and College of Engineering. Cobb was a former chair of UM’s Board of Trustees and served as the assistant secretary and undersecretary of the U.S. Department of Commerce. He also served as the U.S. Ambassador to the Republic of Iceland.

May 10

The School of Law and Miller School of Medicine will hold their commencement at 10 a.m. and 5 p.m., respectively. U.S. Secretary of Labor Thomas E. Perez will give the commencement address.

A Cappella Concert

Student a cappella groups Above the Keys, BisCaydence and Tufaan will be performing in a joint concert at 8 p.m. Sunday in Storer Auditorium. This performance will be the first time the three groups host a concert together.  

Photo courtesy of UM Office of Commencement

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...