Edge, Food

BBQ restaurant brings southern flavor near campus

The Humongous BBQ Nachos at Brother Jimmy's meld Mexican with barbecue. The tortilla chips are topped with the traditional chili, cheese, salsa, guacamole and sour cream, but they also come with BBQ beans and the choice of pulled pork or chicken. Lyssa Goldberg // Contributing Photographer

The Humongous BBQ Nachos at Brother Jimmy’s meld Mexican with barbecue. The tortilla chips are topped with the traditional chili, cheese, salsa, guacamole and sour cream, but they also come with BBQ beans and the choice of pulled pork or chicken. Lyssa Goldberg // Contributing Photographer

The second Miami outpost of Brother Jimmy’s BBQ opened up at the Shops at Sunset Place this week. The barbecue chain already has a location in Miami’s Mary Brickell Village.

The timing may seem inopportune, given that it’s the end of the semester, but all this really means is that students should head over for a study break during reading days or take advantage of the new restaurant over the summer if they’re staying in town.

In fact, the grand opening festivities for the public will take place Friday and Saturday, featuring line dancing, mechanical bull riding and more.

The food and atmosphere is the perfect intermediary between the cheap eats you would find at a casual place like Shorty’s BBQ near Dadeland and the upscale barbecue fare offered at locations such as Swine Southern Table & Bar in downtown Coral Gables.

The focus of the menu at Brother Jimmy’s, a Carolina-style barbecue mini-chain that got its start in New York, is the meat – specifically the pork. This explains why their signature BBQ sauces (original, Carolina and chipotle) are all vinegar-based; they don’t overpower the flavors of the meats the way a thicker sauce would.

Everything from the chicken wings to the ribs receives careful attention. Whether the preparation involves smoking or slow roasting, the strategy is to bring out the boldest flavors and make the meat tender.

To start, get a basket of cornbread with sweet maple butter. Choose your entrée from the choices of platters, sandwiches and burgers. Think brisket, pulled pork or dry-rub ribs, and hope that your selection comes with more cornbread.

One of the more surprising items on the menu is the avocado and tomato salad, a refreshing side dish that you wouldn’t expect to find at a barbecue restaurant with such heavy meals.

Another option you won’t want to pass up is the fried Brussels sprouts. They’re salty and savory, definitely crispy but also crisp. This side dish is a great way to get your greens in, which can be hard to remember when plowing into a rack of ribs.

The Brother Jimmy’s in Mary Brickell Village has been a go-to bar for watching sporting events in the past. Now that we have our own South Miami location just blocks from campus, we can expect Hurricanes watch parties for Canes football games when we return in the fall.

Pro-tip: Brother Jimmy’s is part of the Shops at Sunset Place, but the street-level restaurant is right across from Buns and Buns facing Sunset Drive. You can get there more quickly by parking at the garage near Barceloneta than entering through the actual Sunset Place garage.

Brother Jimmy’s BBQ is located at 5701 Sunset Drive, South Miami, Fla.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

Go ahead. Try telling former University of Miami quarterback Brad Kaaya that his critics say he gets ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison, who left the Hurricanes football pro ...

A six-pack of UM nuggets on a Tuesday: • UM receiver Dionte Mullins’ final statement this spring - i ...

The quarterback race at the University of Miami just got a lot tighter. Redshirt freshman Jack Allis ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Carlos Bustamante, a Presidential Distinguished Scholar, kicked off his series of lectures about gen ...

Edward Abraham, M.D., has been named Dean of the University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Med ...

HurricaneSports.com caught up with Miami's current hardwood ProCanes. Here's where you can ...

A trio of Canes are represented in the polls, with Lomacki at No. 64 in the ITA Singles rankings and ...

The Miami women's tennis team has continued its rise up the ITA national rankings, checking in ...

Romy Gonzalez scored the go-ahead run in the ninth inning, and Miami held on for an 8-7 win over hos ...

University of Miami men's tennis team is set to start ACC Championship play Wednesday in Rome, ...