Sports Briefs 4/21

Men’s tennis

The Miami men’s tennis team dropped its regular season home finale to rival Florida State on Saturday, 6-1.

The Hurricanes kept it close in most of their matches, but ultimately came up well short.

“It was a really close match,” coach Mario Rincon said. “We had a lot of opportunities but FSU played the big points really well and we gave them everything we had and they were better than us.”

Gabriel Flores was the only victorious singles player for Miami.

“We still have a lot of tennis left,” Rincon said. “We are looking forward to the ACC Tournament next week.”

Track and field

Isaiah Simmons made his presence felt at the 2014 ACC Outdoor Championships.

The sophomore was named men’s field MVP for the second straight year after a number of impressive performances.

“We competed very hard, had so many personal bests, ACC Champions and the field MVP,” Track Director Amy Deem said of Miami’s weekend in Chapel Hill, N.C. “I think our kids really fed off each other and it was exciting. As a coach, one of the best track meets that I’ve been around for a while.”

The women’s team finished in third place overall, their best ACC finish since 2008. The men placed ninth overall.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com. 

About Author

Spencer Dandes

The University of Miami quarterback corps is deep in numbers but shallow in experience. The battle c ...

Freshmen anyone? Mark Richt sounds like he’s liking these three early-enrollee true freshmen a whole ...

The University of Miami completed Day Three of spring football on Saturday, and as soon as practice ...

Myron Rolle is ready to take his game from the football field to the operating table. Those precious ...

University of Miami middle linebacker Shaquille Quarterman’s ultimate goal has always been the same: ...

A conversation with Belén Garijo and Felicia Marie Knaul. ...

Nova Southeastern University’s Jacqueline A. Travisano will be UM’s Executive Vice President for Bus ...

U.S. Trust will provide advisory services for UM’s long-term growth portfolio. ...

Sir James Galway, Distinguished Presidential Scholar, inspires flute students with his artistry and ...

Activist and community organizer Alicia Garza stresses the need for a richness of ideas to help solv ...

Miami redshirt freshman David Dinsmore won the NCAA national championship in the men's 10-meter ...

The University of Miami track and field program shined in a talented field at the Hurricane Collegia ...

Here's a daily look at what is taking place at Greentree ...

Miami tied for the most hits No. 8 North Carolina has allowed all season, but fell to the host Tar H ...

Miami travels to Louisville, Ky., Sunday at noon to face No. 34 Louisville at the Bass-Rudd Tennis C ...