Sports Briefs 4/21

Men’s tennis

The Miami men’s tennis team dropped its regular season home finale to rival Florida State on Saturday, 6-1.

The Hurricanes kept it close in most of their matches, but ultimately came up well short.

“It was a really close match,” coach Mario Rincon said. “We had a lot of opportunities but FSU played the big points really well and we gave them everything we had and they were better than us.”

Gabriel Flores was the only victorious singles player for Miami.

“We still have a lot of tennis left,” Rincon said. “We are looking forward to the ACC Tournament next week.”

Track and field

Isaiah Simmons made his presence felt at the 2014 ACC Outdoor Championships.

The sophomore was named men’s field MVP for the second straight year after a number of impressive performances.

“We competed very hard, had so many personal bests, ACC Champions and the field MVP,” Track Director Amy Deem said of Miami’s weekend in Chapel Hill, N.C. “I think our kids really fed off each other and it was exciting. As a coach, one of the best track meets that I’ve been around for a while.”

The women’s team finished in third place overall, their best ACC finish since 2008. The men placed ninth overall.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com. 

Spencer Dandes