Featured, News, Profiles

Sophomore cycles cross-country to volunteer

Sophomore Athena Jones poses with her bike next to the Lake on Saturday. Yinghui Sun // Staff Photographer

This summer, sophomore Athena Jones will be biking more than 3,800 miles cross-country – from Virginia Beach, Va. to Cannon Beach, Ore. – in order to raise money for affordable housing.

“It’s been one of my life goals to ride across the country ever since I started cycling,” Jones said.

Jones is participating in Bike and Build, a nonprofit group that organizes multiple cross-country bike trips every summer for riders of all levels.

In order to become a rider, participants must apply and commit to raising at least $4,500. All proceeds go to building affordable housing projects across the United States.

So far, Jones has raised $2,495. The majority of this money has come from supporters but she also found a part-time job to help meet the fundraising goal.

During the trip, Jones will be cycling with more than 30 other riders. Their route includes stops in more than 55 cities and will take approximately two and a half months to finish. In some cities, the riders will spend an extra day, called a build day, working on housing projects. They will also be given time in other cities to explore.

She is excited to spend so much time with other serious cyclists.

“I’m really looking forward to meeting the like-minded people I will be riding with and the people who will be receiving our support [on build days],” said Jones, who is majoring in environmental engineering as well as ecosystem science and policy.

Jones has been a serious cyclist since she was young. She helped found UBike, a student organization that promotes cycling. She applied to Bike and Build because she liked the idea of using her favorite activity to support a charitable cause.

“There have been tons of accidents along the way,” she said. “I’ve ripped my toenails off, I’ve had concussions, I have scars all over.”

Jones is not the first Cane to participate in Bike and Build. Last summer, senior Shannon Glenn rode from Jacksonville, Fla. to Monterey, Calif.

Now Glenn, who is the captain of the UM TriCanes Triathlon Team, is helping Jones prep for her trip.

“It really helps to have someone who has experienced out advise you on equipment, bikes, and the inner workings of the trip, from how laundry gets done to how you are possibly supposed to fit everything for an entire summer in one duffel bag,” Jones said.

To prepare for the trip, Jones has been biking 50 miles every weekend. For comparison, the longest leg of the cross-country bike trip will be more than a 100 miles and the shortest leg will be less than 40 miles.

She also recently purchased a used second-hand bike from a bike collector specifically for the trip. During the trip, she will be responsible for most of her own bike maintenance.  The bikers will also be followed by a support van in case of any serious equipment malfunctions.

Because the cross-country trip is geared for all kinds of riders, from beginners to experts, Jones is not worried about health concerns.

“It’s going to be a lot of fun,” she said.

For more information, visit bikeandbuild.org/rider/7247.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...