News Briefs 4/21

ReUse Store

A ReUse store will be set up during the Weekly Well Canes Market on Wednesday near Richter Library. Students are encouraged to bring any items they no longer need, such as dorm accessories, furniture or clothes, and drop them off at the ReUse Table. From there, they can pick up any items left on the table by other students. The event is free and open to all. Any leftover items will be donated to Goodwill at the end of the day.

Hug the Lake

Random Acts of Kindness will host Hug the Lake in honor of earth day at 12:05 p.m. on Tuesday. Students can go to Lake Osceola to gather around the lake and join together to give it a “hug.”

Bench Press Competition

The Bench Press Competition will take place at 6 p.m. on Thursday at the Wellness Center. The deadline to register is Tuesday. Students may sign up in room 210 at the Wellness Center. For more information, call (305) 284-8518 or email tsoria@miami.edu. The event is free.

Commencement

Undergraduate students will participate in commencement May 9 in the BankUnited Center. College of Arts and Sciences students will begin to process at 8:30 a.m. School of Architecture, School of Communication, School of Education, RSMAS, Frost School of Music and School of Nursing and Health Studies will process at 12:30 p.m. The School of Business and College of Engineering’s ceremony will begin at 5 p.m. Students can pick up their caps and gowns from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. May 6 to May 8 at the Toppel Career Center.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami rowing team introduced the newest members of the Hurricanes rowing program o ...