Dear V

I want to avoid stranger danger …

V,

I just joined Tinder about a week ago, so this whole “dating through social media” thing is new to me. I’ve been talking to a guy I think I might want to meet up with, but I’ve never just met up with a stranger. Can you give me a little “How To Tinder 101?”

Help!

Tinder Virgin

Dear Tinderella,

You’ve got to be willing to leave your shoe behind for somebody, and whether that requires you getting some coffee with that hunky dude you just got matched with or joining OkCupid, it’s time to take the leap of faith.

I understand your fear – he could be a creep who’s only looking to get into your pants or he could be a crazy person. You never know. Still, statistically speaking, this guy is most likely neither a creep nor a psycho.

In my experience, meeting up with someone from Tinder or any other dating site requires careful planning and preparation. You have to make sure that you dress correctly – not too nice or it’ll look like you’re trying too hard – and you have to make sure that you look enough like your pictures that he’ll recognize you when he sees you. We all like to pick the pics that we know make us look the best, but the trick to a successful meet up is making yourself as real as possible, online and off.

You don’t want to be a Barbie in your pictures and you don’t want to be a Barbie in person. Make sure that you pick a public place to have this date of yours – a Starbucks should do quite nicely – and just let it happen. You might not have the best time of your life but you’ll at least try something new. And there’s nothing wrong with that.

Obviously, if he turns out to be weird or crazy then run away fast and don’t give him your phone number.

Also, try not to make plans with any dudes who look like they’ve pulled their picture out of a magazine ad.

Not to worry, I’m sure prince charming is out there waiting for you with your other crystal slipper in hand.

But in the mean time, you’re going to have to deal with dating some paupers. Just stick it out – the great magic mirror that is Tinder will eventually present you with a wonderful alternative for your love life.

Advice Columnist

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Shakima Wimbley and Gracie Lachowecki, have officially been nam ...

Miami Deputy AD/SWA Jennifer Strawley has been named a member of the WBCA Board of Directors, as ann ...

The Atlantic Coast and Big Ten Conferences announced Monday, the University of Miami men's bask ...

Three members of the University of Miami men's tennis players have been selected as All-ACC Aca ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had four individuals selected to the 2017 Atlantic Co ...