Hippies, hipsters similar for right reasons

Graduating seniors will soon face the uncertainty of the job market in the technological age.

History is cyclical, and this metamorphic era is reminiscent of another transitional period – the 1960s.

Elite Daily, a publication that caters to Generation Y, recently published an article that compares the aforementioned generation, also known as the Millennial Generation, to the hippies of the ‘60s.

The problem with Elite Daily’s analysis is that it glosses over many of the real similarities that connect these two eras.

Lauren Miller, who wrote the article, compares contemporary fashion trends to the hippie movement.

This assumption does not, however, take into account the social climate that ‘60s fashion trends attempted to protest.

Back then, hippies were protesting the Vietnam War and the draft that infiltrated the lives of 18-year-old American men. Certain modern concerns, though still pressing, lack that sense of urgency. In today’s society, we seem to adopt a cause the way we adopted flowy shirts and high-waisted pants: as a trend, rather than a true issue that needs to be addressed.

Hipsters, portrayed as reacting against mainstream society, have instead become the norm – and not for the right reasons. Clothing stores capitalize on this hipster look, and people adopt the ideology tied to being a hipster without understanding what they are protesting.

Unlike hipsters, hippies reacted against a conformist age. But, they lived in a time of uncertainty not too different from our own.

Today’s youth face a world of political, economic and social transition. We are on the cusp of another civil rights movement – only this time, it’s focused on gay rights and who has the right to marry.

Some people also acknowledge connections between the Vietnam War and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. During the former, hippies felt a duty to express their grievances by any means.

They had marches, while we’re engaging in virtual protests. They had grassroots, and we have Gawker.com.

Truthfully, Generation Y is far more concerned with an unpredictable economy, and the job hunt has become an overwhelming issue for the next round of post-graduates.

Yes, we millennials are like the hippies. But it’s more over our concerns of blossoming in an uncertain age than about still choosing to wear flower headbands.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...