Community, Edge

Event, movie addresses rape culture

Freshman Alexis McDonald organized the event “Vagina, Vagina, Vagina”  held on Thursday night in the Stanford Master’s Apartment in support of April’s Sexual Assault Awareness month. The occasion drew in a crowd of nearly 40 students who were intrigued about the wonders of vaginas.

The aspiring activist felt that even though this event was mandatory for her women and gender studies class, it was only one “activist moment” out of many to come.

“From the first day of class I knew that I wanted to address rape culture in some capacity,” McDonald said. “With this event I want to lighten up the mood while talking about something serious.”

Rape culture is something she felt needed to be discussed more at UM because, according to her, it has changed the way women are now allowed to act in society. This change saddens her.

“It’s an issue that needs to be addressed, and promoting sexual positivity in women is just one way I felt I could help to combat rape culture,” McDonald said.

Nadine Shamji, a freshman majoring in nursing, feels it’s simple.

“Men should not rape and women shouldn’t have to fear to be raped,” Shamji said.

The event consisted of a viewing of “The Vagina Monologues” movie with discussions among the audience members about perceptions of female sexual expression and consensual sex.

“It’s kind of weird for girls to say ‘yeah I like to have sex,’” McDonald said. “People call those girls h*es, but that shouldn’t be the case, and people shouldn’t assume that they will have sex with anyone.”

McDonald planned the event independently and, to ensure the success of her event, she said she did everything she could, from taping flyers onto gliders to harassing her friends and her friend’s friends to attend.

As the audience watched The Vagina Monologues, the mood quickly changed from light-hearted, with people chuckling at the puns, to serious, as the audience listened, open-mouthed, to the stories of women who had been raped.

“The part where the woman was raped by all of the men in the military base camp, the Bosnian Camp, scared me,” said Keria Moran, a freshman majoring in music business. “It was so disturbing; I’m not going to be able to sleep.”

According to the film, more than 700,000 women are raped in the U.S. and that, overseas, rape is used as a war tactic.

“In today’s society, I feel like a women do not have the control they should over their body, especially once they have been assaulted. They are stripped of their power,” McDonald said.

At the end of the event, students stuck around to discuss the impact vaginas have in our world.

“At first I was like, ‘that’s gross’ but then, I remembered life came out of it,” said Alex Jean-Baptiste, a freshman majoring in computer science. “I feel like this generation of people will be more conscious and understanding about vaginas.”

Before they left, the students screamed, “Vagina” and other variations of the word as a symbol of empowering women and to take away the shame society has put on vaginas.

Nadijah Campbell

As Miami fans await the newest College Football Playoff rankings on Tuesday night — the Hurricanes c ...

Jaquan Johnson doesn’t necessarily look intimidating. But he plays like a monster. Johnson, UM’s 5-1 ...

It will determine which state rival makes the American Athletic Conference championship game when th ...

Miami coach Mark Richt nearly went through his weekly teleconference Sunday without anyone asking hi ...

I opened my eyes this morning and for the first time in a long time, maybe all season, didn’t say, “ ...

The 41st annual conference on the Caribbean and Central America came to the University of Miami Scho ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

For the second straight week, the Miami Hurricanes were ranked No. 2 in both the Associated Press po ...

A pair of Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized with weekly honors from the Atlantic Coast Co ...

The Miami women's basketball team will host the first of its two elementary school days Tuesday ...

The University of Miami volleyball team closed out the weekend with a convincing 3-0 win at Virginia ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team welcomed three new members to the program with the si ...